=( Well, whenever I eat ANYTHING it goes down my esophagus really slow, and I can feel it go all the way down. It feels like when you eat bread or pretzels without water, except it's all foods that make me feel like this. It doesn't exactly hurt, it is just uncomfortable. With liquids, it is not nearly as bad, but I notice a difference. This has been going on for a month or two, maybe more. My Aunt had something like this and after ten years, nothing could go down and it just came right back up. She is better now after she got surgery, but I'm worried (Since I have similar symptoms) that I have the same thing as her. Oh and also, my throat doesn't hurt at all or feel weird or anything. I only say this because someone mentioned it could be strep throat, but it definitely is not that; I know what strep feels like. Please help me, I don't know what this is!

What you are experiencing is called esophageal motility disorder. It occurs when the esophageal muscles fail to properly move food down the esophagus to the stomach. The problem can range from minor, as yours appears to be, to extreme where surgery may be required.

The causes are not known. There are no specific medications for the condition. A Thoracic surgeon should be consulted for the problem.

I feel the same way, have you got to the bottem of this?

I have had a similar problem to this for over 30 years. I say similar as my problem is caused by an esophageal web which is situated just above the entrance to the stomach. Any dry food, such as potato and bread are a problem and get stuck on this restricting web. Should I try to drink water to push it down, the water just sits on top and makes the discomfort worse. My quick fix is to regurgitate the offending food but I can just wait, with a terrible pain in the centre of my breast until the food eventually passes down.

Unfortunately, my problem is much more than this as I also have no valve into my stomach which means that food and acid are always sitting waiting to come back up, but in addition to this I have a paralyzed stomach, which means that food will remain in my stomach for up to 6 hours before eventually being pushed down into the small intestines.

I should really be on medication called Proton Pump Inhibitors which stop the stomach producing acid but they are so expensive.

Such is life!

I have been dealing with GERD for years. I had a hiatal hernia repair along with Nissen Fundoplication procedure about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Prior to having this done, I would have frequent problems with food getting stuck and moving slowly down my esophagus, especially bread and meats. You should see a Gastroenterologist about this. It is called Esophageal Stricture and it is quite common, especially if you suffer with GERD. They can go in with an endoscope and "stretch" your esophagus to get relief (if that's all the problem entails). I got tired of going through that every 6 months and decided to attempt to fix my GERD. Hope this info helps! :)

The same thing is happening to me.Even liquids go down slow somtimes.It can happen several times a day or i could have a day where it dosent happen. It feels like that expression" Its going down the wrong pipe" I have to wait for it to go down slowly and i hate it.People notice and ask me if im ok.Its been going on for 2 years now. Maybe nexium could help but i need to get checked but im afraid ill need surgery.I just want to be normal and not be afraid to eat.It seems like it takes longer to go down each time that maybe i might throw up.

You should have a CT SCAN with contrast or an EUS (esophageal sonogram). I had similar symptoms when I was 23 and was diagnosed with a rare bronchogenic cyst. It was removed via thoracic surgery and I recovered. I am now, at 54, experiencing the symptoms, again, and have been diagnosed with a new Duplicate or Bronchogenic cyst. I go in for an EUS in three days to determine exact location and type ofeatures cyst and also to determine if surgery is required. What is disconcerting is that I have recently complained to my doc for several years about trouble swallowing and he told me it was scar tissue. Only after changing doctors was a CT SCAN ordered and the 1 inch x 5 inch cyst discovered. All, please be proactive with your health; you may just save your own life.

Im having same problem im 26 it seemed to happen after a stomach virus feels like food is sitting on top of something in center chest and its hard to swallow without water very bad discomfort in the tube food suppose to pass through food keeps comin up

got any friends in the UK they get their drugs for nothing.

In England we pay for prescriptions - about * £ 8 per item.

B******T! We got to pay for drugs!!!!

Could be talking about the NHS?

When you pay for a prescription, you're not paying for the drug, you're paying a tokenistic admin fee. The price of the drug often far exceeds the admin fee you pay.

That's because we pay for the drugs through the national health insurance we pay all of our working lives. So actually no....nothing is free

I have the same condition, did you find out what it is.