i have a strange feeling on the left side of my body, below the sternum, also below the last rib on the left (stomach area at the top). whether bending , walking, eating, or reaching i get a spasm type of feeling in this area and then my heart does irregular heart beats that can sometimes last for hours. sometimes when a twist the body a certain way it will do this as well. i have seen a gastro dr. a lung doctor , and a heart doctor and all of them cant find anything wrong even though they have captured pvc's on the heart monitor when this happens. i feel as if a main vessel is being constricted after eating that helps digestion and maybe also supplies the heart with blood. i am at my wits end because i cant function when this happens because my breathing is restricted it feels like in the throat. i sort of mimics a hiatial hernia,but the gastro says he doesnt see anything. help me someone :-)

I also had the same feeling some months before and i can tell you something about it. It is actually due to gas which causes chest pain.you can use your finger to move the gas downwards or you can take a painkiller.

Sorry I cant be of much help, I am suffering with the exact same symptoms. I have also had a positive ECG. I have recently been treated for Lymes disease after a tick bite and hoped this was the cause but symptoms still persist. I am going to try a drug called losec as I also suffer with hiatus hernia and hope that this will rectify the problem.

If I eat and then sit and relax I can set my watch on palpetations within 2 minutes.

I have the same exact symptoms , many ekg, nuclear stress test, etc .have came up negative.Upper gi being done tomorrow morning.All I have been told that it is stress and anxiety.After two years of this it has stressed me out pretty bad which does make it worse.I hate to say this but most of the doctors I have been to (6) are full of c**p. The doc I am seeing now has been a God send. It seems that during a test the doc thinks that a artery is on the wrong side of my esophagus, just born that way,but with reflux the food are whatever could put pressure causing heart palps.I am so sorry that someone else goes through what I go through, but now nobody can say I am crazy which I have heard many times. Keep your head up and may Gods hand be on you.

I also had a similar problem 2 years ago and sometimes still do. I would eat and could feel my heart beating for hours. Ablolutely the worst feeling. I developed other symptoms and had many tests. Ultrasound, blood tests, upper GI, X-rays, CT Scan, EKG. Could find nothing wrong. I understand how you feel about doctors. They put me on Zoloft. I quit after 10 days...anxiety was not the problem even though I told the doctors I was getting anxiety due to the pounding in my chest after I eat. Lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks. The worst experience in my life. I lift weights and exercise alot with a strict diet so I was very in tune with my body. Have always been healthy and had normal illness but this felt completely alien. The hematoligist ordered a bone marrow aspiration because my platelet count fell below normal. Again, found nothing. He thinks I may have had mercury toxicity due to eating to much tuna. I continue to have the same problem today but much milder and it comes and goes. I can go for weeks/ months with nothing and then have a few days of it. Prilosec seems to help sometimes, not everytime. Occasionally I can feel my heart skip a beat during these episodes. Causes no problems other than wierd and unwanted feeling. I told my doctors everything and they all looked at me like I was crazy. I have considered my stomach may be pressing into a major artery but have no proof, even after all the scans. I refuse to go back, lost confidence in doctors. Good luck and may god bless you.

I suffered for many years with many of the problems/symptoms discussed. I also had many tests, strapped on the Heart Monitor for a couple of days, tread mill tests, nuclear mri, all of which turned up nothing.
I also had some neck pain for years also. Neck pain progressed to the point were disc removed and vertabrae fussed (C5-C6). After this surgery I noticed that all of my chest/heart symptoms had vanished. I mentioned this to my Neuro-Surgeon and he confirmed that bulging cervical dics do cuase odd and random heart symptoms.

.... googled "stomach spasms left side" because of same symptoms, although i never had the experience of feeling my heart beat.

oddly enough i lift as well and have actually been worried about a hernia. i had an inguinal hernia years ago and had no such symptoms, but wasnt sure what else to think as its a wierd feeling. i was eating a lot of tuna a while back, but i phase in and out between tuna and chicken and the spasms started way after the tuna phase was over.

like ty said i have no other problems with it, just makes me a lil nervous.

I can't even explain how happy I was to find this thread after a google for stomach spasms. I have the exact same thing and it makes me crazy! Mine is concentrated under the sternum. It gets really bad when I first get in bed at night. This started in 2003 when I was pregnant--about 6 months along-- and never went away. When I describe it to anyone I get looked at like I'm crazy. It never happens when I'm in the doctor's office so it's often blamed on anxiety. Stress makes it worse x10.

I've found that eating Activia yogurt once a day helps it out a little. It calms it and makes it easier to live with.

Mine goes like this--- I get a jumpy, fluttery feeling directly under my sternum, I feel like I need to burp but it feels stuck, my heart skips a beat, for a second or two I feel a little lightheaded (for lack of a better way to describe it). It repeats itself and lasts anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour. Standing up helps. Sitting makes it annoying, laying down makes it awful.

If anyone has had a definite diagnosis I'd love to know what it is.

Wow, I'm so happy to find these postings. I've been going through this for about 6 months. It started with a weird tingling of my lips and throat after I ate. We did allergy tests, but they were fine. Then it progressed to chest tightening, then severe chest pain. Now my throat feels tight all the time. And after I eat, it often feels like there's a butterfly in my chest for a 15 seconds or so. Just after the fluttering, I feel my throat get really tight. It's so strange. My stomach hurts almost constantly, and I'm down to 90 pounds because I'm afraid to eat. I've been seeing military doctors, who would rather give you anti-anxiety drugs than run expensive tests, so I haven't had much done. I know anxiety is probably an aggravating factor, but it's not the underlying factor. And anyway, I had low levels of anxiety until this started happening. It's just frustrating. But I go see a civilian doctor tomorrow, so hopefully he'll be able to help me. Oh, has anyone tried Nexium or anything like that?

I have had the same symptoms for years, since my daughter was born over 20 years ago, the wierd palpatations in my chest and the pains.
I have had all the tests that everyone else has had and have only have one doctor that gave me a good answer and believe it or not it was my obgyn! when I was pregnant with my 3rd child. He told me to take ginger root to help with these symptoms, he also said thatt hey weren't heart palpations but the body over production of gas and that can mimic palpations, when I was having really bad symptoms he had me hooked up to an ekg and I had a spasm and the ekg did not show anything. He also said that this can be brought on by a # of different digestive problems such as IBS, GERD, HERNIAS, And I have IBS and stress.
Well good luck to you all I hope everyone finds the answer, by the way the ginger root worked well it didn't totally get rid of the symptoms, But I have them less often.

Right after seemingly endless years of having the same symptoms that I finally clicked as to what I've always felt was normal, but now realise were not. I've always had a feeling of a lump in the throat, a undescribed tightness just below my right rib thats very uncomfortable, heart fluttering sensations and that has always put me on edge, I felt very uncomfortable out even to think it was anxiety to blame. Even tried to get help with what can only be descibed as severe anxiety while I was out. I often got a PVC just before sleep and was getting very worried.

Firstly the PVC I had started to develop just before resting to sleep was starting to seriously worry me so I took to the internet.

i see alot of people have the same wierd unanswered pains, heart fluttering, a feeling of a lump in the throat and almost constant feelings of discomfort at strange points throught the day. For me this was accompanied by a feeling of a very stick tight backpain and sometime would sweat heavily at night for seemingly no reason.

I found it worse when I was at home or visiting friends and led me to associate visits or meeting people with feelings of panic. I know the drugs companies have dubbed this social anxiety but now doubt its actually a condition but a symtom of a more common problem. I also used to smoke canabis something a great many young people do however the reports of links to socialogical conditions has increased. I wondered. I started to think my problem may actually may not be psychological and may be a type reaction that I always mistook for anxiety.

I have a theory that may make this a whole lot easier. I realised that I am essentially having a alergic reaction, I if you drink it throughout the day you probably just think the symptoms are always there, rather than your really getting them so regularly, and the reaction must be too something I have so often, then i checked when I felt the symtoms worse and what I'd just done, I thought it was smoking a joint but then clicked I always have a coffee or tea with it, in fact I then noticed directly after a coffee, my neck felt tight, I felt bloat and had blotchy sweaty hand, and the symtoms lasted probably about as long as the gap just before another coffee. If your always either having a coffee or tea, or eating food with cream or cheese, or it may be a wheat allergy which would have simular effects and because we eat so much of it the symtoms seem constant.

I must be seriously latose intollerant, I double checked and find the symtoms to lactose intooreance is a lump in the throat and a pain at sternum level, couple this with coffee a stimulate the same as canabis and you increasing the speed the latose gets into the system, hence visiting friends or having a smoke or a coffee would spiral me into a panic attack as my heart rate increased, making the feelings of panic, unable to breath, PVCs is all due to pushing so much of a substance your allergic to through your system. I was diagonsed as being allergis to penecillin because I noticed teh botches on my hand while taking it, butr again I may have mistaken an allergis for penecillin but really I just noticed the allergy to diary. It causes sweating and nausia, If you suffer from a constant bloating feeling then its having lacose with a stimulate that makes the effects so acute but lacose is the primary culprit I would gain.

What makes me think is that with the huge rise is social anxiety and reported psychological problems with canabis would love to see a study into the how many drink milk with coffee, eat cheese etc and drink red bull, I think the link between a either gluten or latose intollerance and anxiety problems may be a major problem that no one has spotted. I can now see that I develop blotchy hand, feel very uncomfortable in my stomach, have sudden sweating and shortness of tight chest feeling almost immediately after coffee but never clicked because I drink alot of coffee, each alot of diary in my diet.

With the rise of stimulant drinks, drug use and amount of dairy we eat may have a great deal to due to people being intollerent to either lactose or wheat.

But if your getting PVC's see if your getting feeling of tightness in the stomach, heart fluttering and a feeling of a lump in the throat.

If your getting PVC and have stomach dimcomfort i found it was lactose intollerance coupled with coffee, so essentially I had sweating bouts, a intense pain between my shoulder blades later in the day. I associated it with severe anxiety when visiting people, again due purley to coffee, in fact I think the current anti anxiety drugs just cover over either s imple lactose or gluten intollerance. As the feeling social anxiety were just down to me taking stimulants which massively increased the reaction I was having to the milk in my coffee, the cheese I ate and the diary. nightmare I liked diary but at least i'll be happier.

I was having a strange feeling in my stomach after eating and my heart would beat strangely like I had taken a drug and my body would feel like I was going to have to lay down or pass out. My body would ache a lot. I decided to stop taking calcium & vitamins and just take an iron tablet. After taking the iron for just three days, I started to feel better and the aching stoped. Also no funny feelings in my stomach & heart. I feel better every day. Could this feeling be caused by anemia?

After eating and sometimes when I'm hungry.My stomach does quivers, twitches, butterflies. And I believe I have skipped heart afterwards. Very disconcerning I dont want to do anything when this occurrs. It can last two days then Im fine. Stress causes this? I dont know but I have pain and that causes stress. What came first the chicken or the egg.
Doctors have been no help all the stomah medications caused all kinds of discomfort.
PLEASE HELP im going nuts

I have also experienced the palpatations coming from both my chest and my stomach. It throws my breathing off (knocks the wind out of me and makes me short of breath) when the spasms occur. Usually lying down triggers the palpatations - which makes sleeping an awful experience.

I have been to a Cardiologist who, through an Echocardiogram, found that the sensation I am feeling is coming from a regurgitating heart valve. I am now on a beta blocker to try to minimize the valve spasms. I also have to take an antibiotic every time I have dental work done, because people with heart valve problems are at a higher risk of plaque buildup in their arteries.

I am currently working with a Gastroenterologist on trying to minimize the stomach palpitations. Apparently, the valve to the opening to my stomach is the culprit of the spasming sensations. It is also the cause of my GERD symptoms getting worse & worse. The doc found that I have a hiatal hernia as well. He is going to surgically correct that, and is considering a full fundoplication - where the surgeon wraps part of my stomach around my esophagus to create an artificial esophageal sphincter.

I hope this helps point someone in the right direction when seeking treatment. It is no fun trying to find a doctor who will really listen to your symptoms and take the time to think about the possible causes. Once you do find one of those caring docs, hold on to them! They are one in a million!