The New York Times has come into possession of documents indicating that the drug company Eli Lilly tried to hide from the public life-threatening side-effects of one of its most popular antipsychotic drugs - Zyprexa or olanzapine.

Zyprexa belongs to a newer antipsychotic drug class called 'atypical antipsychotics'. When the drug came out, it was marketed as being much safer and having fewer side effects than the first generation 'typical antipsychotics'.

However, Zyprexa did not have fewer side effects, it just had different ones and instead of Parkinson's disease-like movement disorder that patients experienced with older 'typical antipsychotics', Zyprexa carried a risk of diabetes, heart disease and obesity. It would make you fat, sometimes even to the dangerous proportions.

The shocking news is that the drug maker apparently knew about the side effects but tried to cover them up and promote the drug as "safe, gentle psychotropic" suitable for people with mild mental illness.

The whole event came to light when lawyer James B. Gottstein gave The New York Times internal documents that Eli Lilly originally released to someone else on the condition they wouldn't be made public.

It seems that the drug industry is full of cover-ups, dodgy data and questionable marketing strategies, which makes things harder for both working psychiatrists and the general public to make knowledgeable assessment of the costs and benefits of these drugs.

At a glance,zyprexa was promoted 'off label' to uses that weren't FDA approved.This opens up a can of worms for patients like myself took it for PTSD for which it was ineffective and moreover gave me diabetes.

True,leaked documents don't convey the 'whole picture' but what is compelling is that zyprexa is the 7th some say 5th largest drug sell in the world and Eli Lilly's #1 drug sale by their own admission.
This is for a drug that won't get you "high" cost $2.50 a pill and only indicated for less than 1% of the population.

Hello! Somebody in Lilly land is pushing zyprexa hard-Daniel Haszard

Amen. I don't even want to know more b/c I'm afraid that there's no end to the scandal. However, the impetus to research what we consume is on the CONSUMER. Gone are the days of the "expert". With the web, we can all find information before we drop a pill.

I took Zyprexa for a short time. I gain 20 Lbs. in that short periof of time. I became pregnant while I was on it and at around 2 months they switched me to abilify and then a month later to seroquil. I was assured that all were safe while pregnant, being only a category c. It turns out one or all of them were not safe, because at 7 months pregnant, I found out my baby (Olivia was her name), had sever Hydrocephalus ( fluid in her brain), and she only had a cerebellum and less than 1 centimeter of cerebral cortex. In essence, she had no brain. I know it was the drugs because I had a healthy child before and after her and in both pregnancies I took no medication. I also never smoked drank or did drugs during any of my pregnancies. The moral of the story is... never take someones word for something. If they cant tell you it %100, don't go for it.