This is the 1st time this has happened to me. I am 40 years old
I just recently started my cycle on 10/17 & still am menustrating?
so this would be 2 weeks. I had a tubal ligation 8 years ago.

Hello, I read somewhere that there are no long term complications of tubal ligation but that some women report heavier periods but these haven’t been proved by clinical studies.

The condition of heavy and prolonged periods is called Menorrhagia. It is a symptom of some other medical problems or hormone imbalances.
Menorrhagia can occur because of an imbalance between estrogen and progesterone, hormones that regulate the buildup of the endometrium (uterine lining of blood and tissue), which is shed each month during menstruation. As a result of this imbalance, the endometrium keeps building up. When it is eventually shed, there is heavy bleeding. This is common for women approaching menopause.

If this continues for a while, it could lead to anemia.

Many times there is no particular cause to be found. Medical conditions like fibroids or fibromyomas, endometrial polyps, granulosa cell tumour in the ovaries can cause prolonged and heavy bleeding. Psychological disorders like matrimonial disharmony or emotional trauma can lead to it as well.

You should consult a gynaecologist for the diagnosis.