I am 23 and my periods have been regular so far. What gives me worries is that lately I have noticed that they have been heavier. Sometimes it seems to me that I will bleed to death. Are there some conditions that can cause heavy menstrual bleeding?

If you have noticed that you are bleeding heavy, I advise you to go to your doctor. By examining you, he will be able to determine what is going on with you and what is causing you to bleed more than usual. The amount of blood lost in each period varies from woman to woman. Some women hardly notice their periods, while other women regularly lose large volumes of blood. It is impossible to define a normal period in terms of the amount of bleeding because of this variation. Doctors define menstrual bleeding as heavy when periods last longer than seven days or more than 80ml of blood is lost. This condition is called menorrhagia. Abnormal vaginal bleeding may occur between the normal menstrual bleeds or it may take the form of unusually heavy menstrual bleeding. Hormonal imbalances are the most common cause of heavy menstrual bleeding. This problem usually occurs during the reproductive years.