My sister finally stopped abusing laxatives. I can see that she doesn’t fell well. It’s been only three days so I am worried that she will start again if I don’t do something. Can anyone tell me what common side effects of laxative withdrawal are?

Well, no one can predict how she will react after stopping abusing laxatives. The amount or length of time laxatives have been used is not an indicator of how severe the withdrawal symptoms will be. You have to prepare her on possible side effects. She may experience things such as: fluid retention so she will feel bloated, temporary weight gain, constipation…

I know this has been a while. Did you sister succeed on quitting laxatives? How did the whole process go?

Well,
The problem with laxative is that it can only be used in far amounts. If you use the laxative too often and too much you will mostly develop some problems with your digestive tract. Not to mention that you can develop anorexia or other eating disorder. How old is your sister and how long has she been using laxative? Does she have any problems with weight? I think that she could use some professional help if she is doing this too often and has no intention of stopping this practice. If you can talk to your parents maybe they can help her. I hope that this helped you a bit.

All the best,
Nelie