I have a big problem with constipation. I tried to eat only fruits but nothing changed. I want to take some laxative. My sister told me that I can use only natural laxative, like psyllium and flax seed. Anyone used psyllium or flax seed as natural laxatives? Are they useful?

Yes, of course. I can tell you that from my experience. Ground psyllium seeds are an excellent choice for that kind of problem. Psyllium is also useful in irritable bowel syndrome, spastic colon and hemorrhoids. Flax seed is used in may packaged products that treat constipation. You can buy the flaxseeds and crush them yourself. But you need to take it with lots of water.

duffy1799 wrote:

I have used flaxseed as a laxative and it works great! I get the ground flaxseed and mix it into 4 ounces of water and 4 ounces of cranberry juice. I mix in 2 heaping tablespoons and within a day or two I am relieved of constipation. Quote:

Psyllium is a natural source of fiber, which atleast 25 grams of are needed daily. If your constipation is accompanied by bloating and gas, you are also in need of probiotics (acidophilus). Senna works as a good occasional laxative as well.

MMG23 wrote:

Hi MMG, do you have any tips on how to get more probiotics in your system? I'd like to be regular so I think that would help me out if you could give me some ideas. I have heard of Activia but is there anything else?

Yogurt is a good way to get them, but acidophilus supplements are a little easier. Just make sure to keep them refrigerated after you open them.

MMG23 wrote:

That's really helpful to know that they need to be refrigerated but where should I buy them? I don't know how I'd feel about buying something online. Where do you think I could get it? ANd how many times a day should I take it?

Any nutrition/health food store should be fine...just check your phone book. I've seen them from strengths of 1 billion cfu (colony forming units) per pill all the way to 20 billion cfu. If you are already having digestive problems, start with a higher dosage until the constipation is cleared up and then maintain with a lower dosage. You will probably be taking only one pill per day, and it's taken just before a meal.

MMG23 wrote:

I was about to ask if I should take it on an empty stomach or not! :) So you think I should do three a day and then scale back as my digestive health gets better? It's pretty good now but I know I could do better. Does that sound like a good plan?

Sounds good!! I used to have some of the same problems with digestion, and I've had them under control for a few years now. Now that I'm eating better, I usually only have to take acidophilus once a week or so instead of every day. Your body will let you know what it needs! :-)

So very true. I actually decided to go with the Activia yogurt instead of the pills and I have been feeling really good. I forgot a day or two but it seems to be working straight off the bat without any serious problems so I'm glad I'm doing well. Thanks again for all your help! How long have you been taking it?

No problem! :-) I've been taking probiotics for about 5 years.

anonymous wrote:

duffy1799 wrote:

We cooked last night with flaxseed on walleye....I did not know how it could affect you as a laxative until today. It definately works, and it wasn't even intentional. But now I get to deal with it I suppose. I don't have problems with constipation, but flax seed definately would work for anyone suffering from it.

psyllium husk caused me to get a giant rash on my abdomen. Use it with caution as there have been increasing numbers of allergic reacctions to psyllium. I was fortunate. It could have been worse. I took some benadryl as a antihistamine to counteract the rash and it went away in a few days.

I'm on Atkins diet and constipation is a real problem but I grind 1 tablespoon flax seed in a coffee grinder for 3 to 4 seconds not into flour and sprinkle into salad and over my scrambled eggs and I'm regular every day.