Hi. I suffer from bulimia. My bowel function is damaged, due to a laxative abuse. How to restore bowel function after laxative abuse? What can I expect from laxative withdrawal?

Hi. Yeah, laxative abuse can cause serious problem. People who abuse laxatives for numbers of reason need more and more laxatives to achieve results. One day you wake up and laxatives don`t work. To prevent constipation people who abuse laxatives should drink plenty of water, eat more fresh fruit and veggies and exercise regularly to promote bowel movements. I have the same problem with laxatives and my doctor told me to stop taking laxatives right now. He also said I should drink 8 cups of water each day. I also have to exercise and eat regularly. The most common side effects of laxative withdrawal include constipation, fluid retention, weight gain (temporary) and feeling bloated.