Hello.
I have the biggest problem in my life ever. I am 22, female. I have 59 kg and 165 cm tall. I think I am fat, although my family and my friends tell me I am not... however, most is in my head. The bigger problem is, that I got addicted to drugs, actually laxatives. I somehow perceive laxatives as drugs, now. I have been taking four laxatives a day for the last year in order to loose weight. Now I am getting to the point where I panic if I don’t have any left. I admit, I am addicted. Please, help me!

Hello!
This is first and very big, but not last step when person admits his or hers addiction. It is a great thing that you have supportive family and friends, but you will need a help from a professional. There is a lot of help available and you should discuss with your GP whether you can be referred for specialist, psychological support. Remember, you are very lucky to have such a supportive family and friends!
It is nothing strange that you say, you are addicted to drugs- laxatives are drugs. The bowel becomes depended on laxatives and you become constipated with laxative use. You literally became addicted to laxatives, and 1 year is quite a period, because the bowel loses its normal tone and motion.
I think you do not have problem with your weight or obesity, considering form what you told us (59 kg and 165 cm), but I think you have problems with low self esteem and perhaps emotional problems. If you want to loose weight, you need to learn to love yourself. Low self-esteem and emotional problems can give rise to all kinds of disturbed eating habits and until you tackle these successfully you will never achieve long-term weight loss! So, girl, LOVE YOUR SELF!
As said above, there are few way to quit laxatives, either by cutting on them slowly or stopping at once.
If you decide for the gentle version- cutting on laxatives slowly, make a plan, where you will calculate the reducing of laxatives.
With second option, you will have to readjust your diet or else you are likely to suffer from constipation. In your case, since you are taking them year and more, this will be quite a problem, and you will have besides mental, also physical problems: your stomach and bowels will be unused to dealing with food unaided. You do need to increase the fibre in your diet but it is important to do this in a safe way (do nor excessive amounts of wheatbran, because wheatbran passes unchanged through your body but as it does, it can leech out vital nutrients such as calcium). Start diet with peeled fruit and vegetables. Gradually build up to raw fruit and vegetables. Contain with cereals containing oatbran and other higher fibre foods, such as potatoes, rice and bread.
In both cases it is good to receive help from specialists.
Remember what I said earlier! LOVE YOURSELF! THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THERAPY!

I went to a counselor and she helped me alot. BUT you have to search for the kind of counselor that you feel like talking to.

That is a symptom of Bulimia.

ur a 'non purging Bulimic'
get help.
wish you all the luck in the world ( im bulimic)
xx

Sorry. Didn't mean to quote you, never used the websight before. I can relate, I am 5'10" 130 lbs and have 3 kids. I feel terrible about myself. I exercise everyday and take at least 6 maximum strength laxitives, depending on how much I eat. I want to be healthy for my kids, but feel if I'm out of the 120's, I shouldn't be allowed out in public. I don't judge others, I have a lot of friends that are overweight and think they are beautiful. I wish all the time,I could see myself like I see them. I started out purging when I was about 18 and did it until it became involuntary. Quit for about a year and started taking laxatives. I dont feel like its hurting me,because nobody knows,but I've heard horror stories,and dont want to carry a bag around with my grandkids. I dont really know where to start. I tell myself not to take them,but its all I can think of when I eat. Any suggestions??

I have been using laxatives for about a year now and would,nt recomend it yes I have lost a lot of weight I now weight 94lb and it does,nt make me feel better. For me I think its a way of controlling the way I feel about things that have happened in the past. But what ever the reason for wanting to start taking then please don,t go talk to your gp.

I've been using Laxs on and off since.. August.. but I started using them to an extreme once I "thought" they helped keep weight off. (Used waaay too much for about.. 3 to four months)
I have both eating disorders full blown.. bulimia and anorexia but I'm getting control over it.
The health issues have luckly slapped me in the face and I finally realized the harm i was doing.
How do you get your body to bounce back from addicition with these? I've having a lot of stomach/ intestinal problems. I had a upper and lower GI and everything came back normal.. yet.. my lower intestines seem to "swell" or become bloated looking after I eat and it stays that way. :/.
I know it's from not going to the bathroom and my system is all messed up due to 10 months of extreme hell.. but I keep going to doctors and they honestly tell me to use more laxs even after I tell them about my addicted history..
I just want some help.. :/ it's so defeating to keep asking for help and having Doctors tell you everything is fine when it's clearly not.

I too have a laxative addiction. it started after my first child when i was 18 i had my son and a friend told me i could loose weight quick by takeing them i started takeing them and kept loosing weight i got soo skinny and loved it. then i got pregnant with my second child and stopped takeing them then as soon as i had her i started takeing them again she is now 6 months old and i take them everyday 4-5 mayb 6 sometimes. i like the way they keep the weight off but im also worried about something bad happening and not being able to be here for my children!!!! its just to easy to be skinny by takeing them! i dont know what to do!