Here’s the thing. My best man just called me and said that his dog is having hard stool and asked me for an advice. He asked me because I have had dogs since I was a kid, I don’t think that I ever lived without one. But my dogs never had this problem. He said that he sees that his dog is having trouble pooping. Now, the first thing that came to my mind were laxatives so I recommended them to him. Please help me out, did I do a good thing, was it a good advice? Can they help for hard stool and constipation? I hope I wasn’t wrong about this.

~Eric~

Hey Eric,

Well, you sure did mess this one up. Your situation is so funny to me now. Sorry about that, but it just wasn’t a good advice. Not even neutral. More like bad. Really bad.

Laxatives are not good for him at all. They are not good for anybody, not even humans, you use them when they are the last option, which they almost never are.

What he needs to do is to exercise a lot with his dog every day. He needs to use some probiotics and he could put his dog on a diet with additional fiber.

I’m still laughing, you nailed this one.

Hello there Eric.

I am really sorry about this.

I would recommend you to tell him to use natural laxative such as pumpkin. We were talking a lot about pumpkin and I know that all of us in here are a bit boring with it, but I can’t help myself. :)

It is totally natural and when your dog has a problem with hard stool you should feed him with canned pumpkin in small quantities.

I agree with rubylock, you should avoid laxatives always.

Instead of using them, you should tell him to give more water to his dog.

Good luck!

Omg, I really messed it up. Somebody should learn me to keep my mouth shut when I don’t know the right answer to something. I guess I can’t handle to not know something when asked.
On the other hand, I’m glad my sorrow made Rubylock laugh. :D Humor based on my pain ha-ha-ha.:p
I guess I now have to tell him I was wrong. The bad thing is, he probably gave him laxatives already, I called him as soon as I read your comments to tell him not to do it, but he didn’t return my calls.
I will call him again. Thank you all.

~Eric~

I’ll agree with DS991 here, laxatives bought in the stores are not good for anybody, but natural laxatives, found in some types of foods are a good thing.

So you just need to tell him that you meant natural laxatives when you recommended them to him, not the medical ones. They can help with hard stool and constipation and are almost always used.

What I could suggest too is that he gives his dog a lot of water and soups to drink. They can make his hard stool, well, less hard.

If he combines these two things, his dog should be just fine. You didn’t do so wrong after all.

Hello. Try to avoid synthetic laxatives. They are not good for us, especially for our pets. My friend Tanya had problem with her dog and she was giving him laxatives. She was thinking that her dog will stop having hard stool. But that was the biggest mistake in her life. I was telling her to find natural laxatives like those that you can find in the food, but she was telling me that she wants to find the best and the quickest cure. She bought some and she was giving it to her dog for two weeks. He started to lose his weight quickly. Whenever your dog is having problems with hard stool and constipation you should try to find best homemade laxatives. They will help your dog and they are safe as well.

Hey.

My mom was giving laxatives to her dog and nothing happened. I don’t see why you suggest that we should avoid them? :/

They are helpful in this situation. A lot. It is good because they can be available without prescription. Of course, you should consult your vet. I think that medicinal paraffin is the best.

But if you are against laxatives that you can find in the stores you can give your dog olive oil, fish oil, pumpkin, wheat products, milk or yogurt for hard stool and constipation.

You have to be careful when you are feeding your dog with those ingredients because hard stool can easily turn into diarrhea.