I am sorry you feel this way ma am.

I'm 36 and have been on Strattera for about 9 months. I've never been on any meds for ADD until this. I had some side effects for the first month. Sweating, sleeplessness, heart palpitations, but they went away. I take 80 mg split up between morning and afternoon. If I take it too late I can't sleep. I loved my last job, but had to be self motivated, and I never got anywhere. My new job is all administrative paperwork junk, and I can get a ton done if I stay on my regular dosing schedule. I'm wondering if it's wearing off a little though? I have high blood pressure so can't do Adderall. I would recommend it if you've just been diagnosed. It's not addicting. Hey...now I can remember to take it every morning.

yes. probably the 1st or 2nd time you take that second dose. I thought I had overdosed and told my husband to take me to the hospital if I started acting weird. All the side effects went away. I'm 36 and have been on Strattera for about 9 months.

Im 41 and was diagnosed with ADD a month ago. My doc gave me a month worth of samples to try and omg what a mistake. If you want to walk around like a zombie from morning to night it will be the med for you. I just flushed all the rest down the toilet. I want to be more focused, but I work at a electric utility and too many hazards to be that tired all day. Will atterol be the same

I was diagnosed with ADD at age 34. I started on Staterra and it made all the busyness in my head calm down. I could concentrate on one thing at a time and could get things done. I changed doctors and my current doctor insists on Adderall because he's added an anti-depressant due to my slight depression. Adderall helps me to focus but really doesn't nothing for my organization. I'm still careless and just a few days ago I left my iPhone on top of my car and drove off. Personally I like Straterra better because I can really do without the methamphetamine but I admit it does keep me going through my 10 hour shifts. I don't feel a "high"whatsoever with Adderall and I don't take it when I'm not working. If you can have both that might do the trick but my preference is Straterra. 

strattera sucks ass

AMPHETAMINE FOR LIFE

Thi s is my second day on strattera and I hate it. I got diagnosed with ADHD 3 days ago and this medication just makes me really tired I don't understand how this supposed to help with focus whenever all you want to do is sleep and also he gets really bad headache Bad nausea its only been 2 days and I don't know if I should go to my doctor about this cuz I think he's going to tell me is to try to take it for the whole month and I really don't want to feel like c**p when I'm in school somebody tell me what I should do

Started Strattera yesterday afternoon. I felt an effect an hour after taking the capsule.  It was a very stressful day so my brain was like a movie on fast-forward. An hour after taking the capsule I felt like my brain hit the brake and slowed my brained down to a functioning speed. I became relaxed and was able to process my thoughts with more control. Two hours later I was at restaurant and my appetite declined so I took my time eating my food. My boyfriend did notice I was spacing out as if looking out into space and asked a few times if I was okay, I guess he was talking to me and I didn't reply. Three hours later I noticed a cotton-mouth like taste and became very thirsty. I haven't felt any side affects so far. I do don't feel robot-like or tired. I feel I'm able to process my thoughts clearly, speak clearly, read and retain more information, and my hyperactivity is low. On to second day and I hope things continue to progress. Good luck everyone!

This is my second week on strattera and I feel nothing at all no clarity no nothing... just very tired. .. I was never hyper just had a very bad attention problem.... I called my doctor just now and told the nurse it makes me sick, tired and gives me a headache hopefully he puts me on something else I'm not liking this

Hi, I am 36 and have just been diagnosed with Inattentive ADD with anxiety. I have had anxiety since I was little and would have mild depression in my 20's.

I started reading more about ADHD and why I have such trouble doing easy things. My parents would yell at me all the time for just not being able to carry throught a simple task. I always have felt like I didn't fit in, that my mind was like a neverending tunnel of thoughts. I some how managed to get a bachelors degree and start my own small freelance business, but i feel like i am always "stuck." Never able to pass a certain point of success, or that it takes such a large, long amount of effort. Is that common to you? I am sometimes impulsive but not hyper, so I feel like my parents or peers just never associated me with having ADHD.

This year I got too busy and wasn't able to handle my work load, pay bills on time, make vet appts, get my oil changed, etc., I would avoid daily chores because, I just thought it was too mundane and hard. I lost a big client and almost lost another one, that is when I went to the doctors.

May I ask how you felt when you were first diagnosed? Did your family understand or did they just ignore it like mine does. I feel like my whole life has been so hard and how things may have turned out differently if I was diagnosed. Sometimes I try to remember what i did to get through college, so i can find a way to get through my current work load.

I do find that adderall helps, but the side effects suck. It's hard to sleep, I am sweatier, dry mouth is awful, I take the IR version of Adderall, I felt like the SR version made me feel like a zombie or not at all myself. I find I am able to complete tasks and pay attention easier, I don't zone out while on medicine either, but when I am not on medicine, I revert back to my old self, which is fine sometimes, but I then wonder if I will now always need to take the medicine to achieve my goals, will i be on this forever.

I don't know anyone with Inattentive ADD, especially diagnosed so late in life, if you have any recommendations or groups or books, etc. please share.

Thanks

After years of academic failure and years of trying to get doctors to take my frustrations serious at 41 I am diagnosed with ADD. I took my first pill 1 hour ago and I am praying this strattera will help me read a book, complete task and become better organized. Before now all those things were terribly difficult so I am really praying that this stuff helps. For years I have all the classic symptom of Add with no help until today. I've lost jobs, never finished college all because of my symptoms. I've had professors doubt me when I know I am bright and had to find success working with my strengths despite lack of concentration little academic focus. I am so excited to finally get to the bottom of my disabilities. I will keep you all posted. Fingers crossed.

Nv2late,
How are you doing? Better I hope. I just started Strattera 3 days ago. No side effects at all. Perhaps a little better concentration. I am so, so hopeful this will help me. I am 56 and was first diagnosed with ADD about 11 years ago. I took Adderal and it was fantastic. As a matter of fact it was too fantastic. I had to keep upping the dose and after 4 years on it I was addicted. Running out before I could get a refill and would be a zombie for a few days till I got some more. Well to make long story short I finally got off of it completely. That was about 7 years ago. I have been taking Prozac for about 15 years and have tried several other antidepressants but always went back to prozac. My depression is "sort of" under control but I know if I could concentrate and focus better it would help my depression. Right now I have a good day about one day every 20 days. I am sharp as a tack. I have all the answers and handle anything I need to. I think I should feel this way every day or at least most days and then I would be "normal". Is that asking too much?

I and many more than we may think could relate, junebug. Like you, I wish I had been diagnosed earlier (I was diagnosed in my late 20s). I am in my early 30s now and have been on Adderall ever since.

As far as being on Adderall, I used to have similar thoughts about the prospect of having to take it all my life but I understand now nobody should feel bad about it. Instead, accept the fact that your brain is simply "wired" differently than others' and that medication only normalizes it.

The only side effect I can think of is that the effect is not constant and wears off after a few hours (I have yet to look into Adderall XR). One more disadvantage is having to get off it if you are pregnant.

Unlike someone here has mentioned, I did not feel depressed nor do I believe it's necessary to take an antidepressant if you get off it, which I have tried several times (when I didn't have insurance or when I "decided" to live... more "organically," or naturally). Not surprisingly, my symptoms returned at those times and life was unbearable again.

Don't be so hard on yourself and don't listen to others, including your close ones who may be less than supportive of your being on a medication. On one hand, I don't see the need to have to confide with everyone. On the other hand, while I don't understand why anyone "close" to us would be negative about our choices, it's good to remind yourself they are uninformed.

There is this interesting dichotomy in how people relate to different psychiatric disorders. Keep in mind: ADHD is classified as a psychiatric disorder because it is a condition that involves mental functioning that causes significant impairment. Now think of any other psychiatric disorders (i.e., "involving mental functioning that cause significant impairment"). Take schizophrenia. I doubt anyone would suggest someone who suffers from it skipping medication. While the two disorders are dissimilar, people have a hard time grasping how fundamentally similar they are -- both cause significantly impaired functioning. Having said that, I hope you will keep your worries about others' ignorance in perspective.

Lastly, when you mention feeling like a zombie, I believe this may be because of a higher than needed dose, so try adjusting it accordingly.

There are many good books on ADD (I think I have them all!). Check on Amazon.

Also, I recommend regular vigorous cardiovascular exercise, which will keep you both sharper and happier.

Junebug, if you look around, I am sure you will find a lot of inspiration in various unexpected places.

It's important that you stay positive. Positive affect will take you a long way (scientists have known that for some time), so never underestimate that. I also recommend that you read up on positive psychology and mindfulness meditation (e.g., Tal Ben Shahar, Seligman, etc.).

Remember: focus on your accomplishments and use them to reinforce your confidence.

I should have said that at the beginning: I am glad for you to have been diagnosed and to be getting the help you have always needed and deserved.

Before I go, I want to recommend to you a great book by Carol Dweck: "The Mindset." It's not about ADD per se but about a sort of conditioned way of thinking that someone who has been diagnosed late, I imagine, may relate to. It's a nice quick read. I am sure you will enjoy it and find it helpful, too.

All the best,
JoJo

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Junebug, see my response to you below, in a different post. - JoJo

I am 62 and started Straterra a few months ago along with Lexapro. In the past for over 8 years I have been on antidepressant such as Paxil - helped but no energy to do things. I now can do projects, complete tasked, organize things and have energy. I didn't know I had ADD - I changed jobs often, finished my Bachelors degree when I was in my 40's. I didn't know life could be so much better - even in my 60's.