Since being diagnosed with adult ADD, I have been on Adderall. But I'm wondering if I should stay on the Adderall forever, or take Strattera instead? I would like to hear someone’s experience with Strattera.

I have adult ADD. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. I was on Strattera and loved it but there isn't enough info to know if it would be bad. Strattera is very similar to trycyclic antidepressants. So, there is considerable evidence about their relative safety during pregnancy. Now I am considering Adderall as an option. I guess I am not the best person to give you an advice whether to take Startera or Adderall.

I have taken both.

Straterra does not have the effects that adderall does. I took Straterra as soon as it was on the market. It helped slightly with organization but not so much with attention. It also made me very tired. My doctor actually had me taking Straterra with Adderall for a while.
After stopping the Straterra I did not notice any more or less improvement with just taking Adderall. The adderall helps with attention, alertness, and even motivation. I pay more attention to detail, am able to read for long periods of time, do school work, and even have started a good routine including exercise. It was like day and night. If i dont take adderall for a day (I try not taking it when I don't have to because I dont want to have the dose increased) I can tell the difference in my ADHD symptoms.

The negatives about the adderall- you cant really sleep well and it addictive. As I said before, if i dont need it for any activites for the day, I try not to take it.

Overall, although its addictive and affects sleep, I had better improvements in symptoms while taking adderall and not so much while taking Straterra.

Hope this helps you out a little!
Hopes and Wishes-
Heather

First I took Adderall for 3 years with extreme behavior highs and lows. I was tired all the time (on my days off from taking Adderall) and my periods were very erratic. I had no choice but to take my medicine because my job depends on me being able to concentrate.
Three years later my doctor introduced me to Starters which I love. I take 60mg of Strattera every day, and then Adderall 5mg at 8am, 12pm, and 4pm. Strattera has helped me to normalize and I don't have the extreme highs and lows. Nor am I sleepy and tired all the time. With Strattera I require smaller doses of Adderall, so together they work well for me.
I would like to meet somebody w/a similar situation as me.
I was diagnosed late in my life (27 years old) with ADD. I had previously lost many jobs and failed a lot in school but did not know why. I blamed myself. Then I had a nervous breakdown from job stress at 27 years old. It was very embarrassing because everyone at my work found out. I met with a doctor who prescribed Adderall. Immediately my life has never the same. The day I took Adderall is the day my life truly began. I had suffered for so many years with failing and suddenly I was no longer a failure but just like everybody else.
My main problem now is that I'm 35, female and would like to have children someday. Ever since I've taken Adderall and Strattera I've had very irregular periods. I have not met one doctor who can answer my questions. I just live with it because I'm so happy to be normal with my meds. These meds have affected my menses and I hope my body can normalize once off these meds enough for me to carry a pregnancy. If anyone out there know anything about this please reply to this post. I'll check often for a response. Thanks!

:'(
im 28 and just got diagnosed with ADD. I never finished highschool, went 2 college without finishing and many jobs later felt like a failure. I had been on 10mg of lexapro for 2 years prior,which really seemed to help with anxiety that i couldnt get under control by myself, until i started taking adderall. i love the adderall because i get everything accomplished at home and with my job. It made me feel positive< like i could finish everything, but now after 4 monthes of taking both, i still get everything done but my period is CRAZY and i"ve been fighting with my husband for no reason. My best friend told me, im on my period every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and i'm having moodswings. That im up and then down. Because of the adderall and how great ive been doing on focusing and the all around energy to finish all projects at work and home, i did NOT refill my lexapro thinking that the adderall/lexapro combo was what was making me irritable. Now it's 5am and im typing with tears because depression i think. I hpe im not wasting ur time with my sob story but if ur still on stratte... what is it? can i ask for it instead of the lexapro i was on? Obviosly having a crazy period is an issue with adderall, what can be done about moodswings? when im up im up but the down is REALLY down. i think i just needed 2 type it all out

Hi! unmmm i am 16 and i recently overcaME adhd. But when i took meds for ADHD...i took stratera...and it made me sick. One ADHD medicine that worked for me was Metadate. I highly reccomend it.

my daughter is taking straterra and lexipro and she often complains of what she calls a "tornando" in her head. she describes this as being dizzy and hurting. she is so young that is is hard to know exactly what she means. does anyone who has taken these meds have any insight for me? Thanks.

A side of Straterra is flu like symptoms. I hated it, made me feel ill, adderall on the other hand makes me feel great!!!

im 20 years old and ive been taking straterra for about a year now....i am a biology major and this is my softmore year in a university. as far as straterra i am already scheduling an appointment with my doctor to get off this crapy medication. I myself have a problem with attention span and focusing on my studies. motivation is also very low. I tried adderall and I noticed my symptoms were alot better i could finish tasks better, and my motivation went up. as far as straterra i highly dont recommend it. causes you to feel groggy.. appetite is decreased. sleep is not good. you always feel like your tired even if you get a full nights sleep. my head feels like its cloudy the hole day. as far as treating my symptoms its bad.. when it comes to retain information its even worse becuase you feel very sleepy and you cant go to sleep.

I am 29 just did the psych testing etc, have ADD. I have taken straterra for 1 day. It gave me heart palpitations, goosebumps,nausea,sweats,and made me feel exhausted. I feel like I am walking in mud. I know some side effects are to be expected and vary widely with individuals but this does not seem to be the medication for me. I'd rather be unfocused then feel like I have the flu.

I agree and had the same issues. I am not sure if everyone has this same issue but it cost me jobs and relationships. It has made my life such a nightmare. I would say if you are older your body and mind adjusts to ADD and you learn who to cope on your own. Although Adderall does help, the mood swings and the depression you get when you quit is unbearable. Just make sure you use an anti-depressant when you quit adderall to avoid a surprise. You will also need a few days of sleep. If you do decided to take it for several years just remember you will look much older. I think it is due to the lack of sleep.

I just started straterra and I can't get off the couch! So sleepy Zzzzzzzz. Does this get better? I wanted help with my add to get things done! Not be lazy.

take your strattera a night instead of the morning ... thats what my doctor told me to do!!!!

you are no way supposed to take any medication especially meds considered to be narcotics or have a street value . Youre child could be born addicated to speed at birth . Please dont do this ..

I am 33 yr old, I was diagnosed yesterday with ADHD and was prescribed Strattera. The first 30 min I felt like I was talking really fast then short after that I felt sick to my stomach. I am also concerned about how it is going to be when I titrate up to 80mg in 2 days, will I feel sick again?