I have been taking adderall for three days to lose weight. It has definitely worked, I feel full with small amounts of food. The problem is that my heartrate accelerates at times, which is annoying, and I get really thirsty. (I'm thinking maybe the thirstiness is because I never ever drink water and the adderall somehow triggored this?)

I only plan on taking it for about 2 weeks, maybe a month, so I can get used to being on a diet (which I always have trouble with). I want to lose about 4 or 5 kilos (not sure how many pounds) because I'm not severely overweight, so this is not something crazy or some kind drastic measure!

I also wanted to know if anyone has any tips on how to "get off it" without bouncing back to my current weight. Should I take just half of the pill for the last week or the last few days?

Has anyone had experiences with it for weight loss? If so, were they good or bad?

Let me know! Thanks!

People like you are why i get flagged as a drugy everytime i say i take Adderall. STOP TAKING THE DAMN ADDERALL IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ADHD. Yes it makes you not want too eat as much, but come on man. Just do what everyone else does and JUST EXERCISE! Have some self controll! And if you REALLY need too take a freakin pill, take Alli. It is way more safe then taking adderall if you dont have adhd. I was on Alli for bout 3 months and it worked very well. Just keep up the routine, follow the little booklet and you will be fine.

Christ.. mabye this is why i pay 80 bucks a bottle for my adderall meds. Freakin black market amphetamines....

Nobody should ever take adderall for weight loss only! Your body will become tolerant to the stimulant and your dependence will increase. Once you stop taking it your appetite will come back and that weight lost will come back and then some. By not eating your body's metabolism slows down so when you get off of the appetite suppressant your eating will become regular again and your body will not burn the fat as quickly as before leading to more weight gain and will make it harder to lose. I have been on adderall for a long time and have had problems with weight even on the drug because of my body's tolerance. Also the lack of nutrients I received by not eating made me lethargic, depressed, and unmotivated which caused even more weight gain.

I strongly suggest hitting the gym and eating 5 small meals a day consisting of low carbs and high protein. Also drink as much water as you can stomach. These changes will make you lose more weight and keep it off long term. Not to mention give you more energy, both mentally and physically. I did this and in 5 months lost 25 Lbs, 15% body fat, and over 20 inches off of my body and have never felt better. Exercise and diet are the only ways you can safely achieve your weight and body composition goals.

I won't even get into the withdrawal side effects. Also taking the drug long term can have serious effects on your cardiovascular health. That rapid heart beat you were talking about? I have the same thing which I recently found out is a heart arrhythmia. Not fun and definitely wouldn't be worth it just to lose a couple of pounds.

Taking Adderall for weight loss only will lead to a downward spiral that will quickly get out of control and will only cause you many more struggles down the road.

FIRST OF ALL:
Adderall is for ADHD...I have it along with the millions of other people...but I'm not gonna say "don't take it if you don't have ADHD." I believe everyone has ADD or ADHD, but that's a whole different topic.
Anyway....
You need to decide if you want to lose weight, or get in shape, because there's a HUGE difference. You can be "skinny" and have a high body fat percentage.
As far as getting into a diet routine from adderall...you can't. Once you stop taking it, your appetite increases back to normal. Also, the muscle loss (from not eating enough) will make you burn less calories. This is why most diets don't work.
Example:
1. Eat less to lose weight
2. Most of weight lost is muscle
3. After hunger pains win..start to eat normally again
4. Less muscle means lower metabolism
5. Get fatter!!!

Don't Let this happen to you! Also, when you don't eat, your metabolism slows down drasticly...you don't want that!

Here's what you need to do:

1. East 5-6 well balanced 300 calorie meals a day. No garbage!
2. Exercise! Weight training raises your metabolism (because it builds muscle) Also, don't worry about getting "too much bulk." Just work out smart. Train for definition. & do high intensity interval training on your off days.
3. Get rest...about 6-8 hours a night at the very least.

There's no permenant "quick fix" for getting in shape. It takes time, dedication & focus. Good Luck!

i started taking aderall in about april 2008 after a co worker mentioned it allowing them to be extremely productive. afraid to ask my doctor and having huge interest in seeing what the drug could do for me i asked for a few from my co worker to check it out.

i took 1 20mg a day at first and immediately notice an improvement in my concentration, work ethic, study habits and my grades went up.

then, without noticing it right away, i went prom dress shopping in may 2008 and noticed my dress size was down 5 sizes than it had been the previous fall. i then took a good look in the mirror and for the first time despite what friends, teachers and family had concernedly mentioned about my weight lost, did i actaully see it for myself.

later that week at a annual doctors appointment i weighed in at 135. a weight i had not experienced since the 8th grade, and i was extremely excited to see the new body i was hearing about was actaully what i really had!

in august 2007 i was 5'7" and 164
and by june 2008 i was still 5'7" and down to 135 and felt great.

aderall works wonders, i love it

I have been on Adderall for a little over 3 years. I was diagnosed with ADD, but the weight loss was a welcomed side effect. But now after being on it for an extended period of time the weight loss side effect has worn off and my weight has leveled off. I did not gain it all back (I am still taking 25mg a day) but I have put a little back on.

It is much harder to eat properly & exercise because the Adderall "spoils" you. It does sound like a quick fix, but believe me in the long term you will not be happy.

Everyone else who responded to this post is correct. Make yourself eat at leave fruits & veggies. Due to my lack of nutrients from not eating I noticed that my hair was looking thin and dull.

I didn't see any doctors responding to this post although there was plenty of medical advice. Of course calorie restriction and and keeping your blood sugar levels constant are the goals. It is obvious that moving more will help. But she was asking about trying the drug as a 'jump start' for 2 weeks to a month. This can help to get a person stomach to be come smaller=full more easily and can create a desire to excercise for the beginner. Doctors routinely prescribe Phentermine (Adipex, Fastin) for this exact purpose.

Claims that Adderall is uniquely for the purpose of treating ADHD are wrong. It is indicated for childhood ADHD but also used to treat narcolepsy, depression, epilepsy and senile apathetic behavior. The only FDA approved drug for adult ADHD is Atomoxatine (Strattera). So if you are over 18 and taking Adderall you are also taking part in off-label use. Which is competely legal, and to a doctor's discretion.

I have been in your shoes dear poster! My advice is to go to your GP armed with a note with all the information you have gleaned, with all the reasons you want to lose weight and the reasons you feel you need help. The actually note, a piece of paper will keep you focused in case the doctor starts to intimidate with old salad and a jump-rope song and dance. Adderall might not be best to ask for straight out though. It is an amphetamine and chemically nearly identical to cocaine, adictive properties and all. I commend you on the decision to lose weight. Good luck!

Ok, so reading all these posts about how wonderful Adderall makes me nervous for those posters. First off, I was on Adderall for 10 years, diagnosed in college for having ADD. So my purpose was never geared towards weightloss, as I never had a weightloss problem.
I decided a year and 3 months ago (yes, I am counting) that Adderall was not having a positive impact on my life. Not only was I addicted, but the drug began to turn on me. At my worst, my weight plummeted to 107lbs, at 5-5.....which left me feeling emaciated. Oddly enough, I was actually eating a lot at that time, but more junk food than anything. As I progressed through my "treatment", I began needing more and more Adderall to get me to where I previously had been, in terms of concentration. This led to many problems. I was having trouble absorbing vitamins like Vitamin-K and would frequently notice large, strange bruising all over my body. As a matter of fact, I still notice strange bruising, even after being off the drug.
Anyway, like I mentioned above, I have been off the ADD meds now for 1 year, 3 months. I have gained 40 lbs, despite rigorous exercise and a strict diet. I play competitive soccer 4 times a week as well as biking and swimming. I eat low-fat, low-sugar foods and rarely get to enjoy a treat. I do something everyday and it is taking a major toll on my body and my health. Still, despite all this exercise, I cannot lose the weight. Does anyone with a professional or experienced opinion have any ideas for me? I am desperate and am getting married in a year, I need help.
No joke, I would advise anyone and everyone, that taking Adderall is not worth the consequences. Even beyond the weight gain issues, after all those years on the drug, I was left a shell of the person I was before. Take extreme caution users.

I was diagnosed with ADHD several years ago, and I also have a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder II. I took Adderall for 2 years, and though it did aid in appetitie suppression and some weight loss, it also had very negative of my blood pressure. I have never had high blood pressure, and my blood pressure rose to very crucial level towards the later part of the time I was taking Adderall. I also found that the longer I took the drug, the more I wanted of it. I started out at 15 mg and the final prescription I had was for 30 mg. My need/want double over a short period of time. I also felt like I would go through a "crash" every day about 5pm. When I told my doctor he prescribe me an additional 15 mg to take mid-afternoon. That screwed up my sleeping patterns because I couldnt go to sleep at night. Then comes the benzodiazipines to help me sleep. I was becoming a prescription "Speed/Meth/Crank/Crystal" addict. The only difference to me is that my speed comes from a pharmacy in a pill bottle instead of a dope bag or vial, from some meth lab.
I have stopped taking the Adderall, and have since experiences major anxiety attacks, high blood pressure, narcolepsy, and once I stopped taking it, I gained the weight back that I had lost. It really is not a practical way to lose weight, and even more so, you don't know what the possible after effects will be on your body. I see this becoming another Phen-Fen craze, and millions of class action lawsuits happening.
I agree with the others whom have posted about changing your eating habits, exercising, and losing weight in a healthy way, not a with a "quick fix".

I wish people would stop lecturing everyone. It is likely she knows about Adderall and if you read her post, she just wants to use to for 2-4 weeks. That is not a big deal, and Adderall is actually prescribed off-label SPECIFICALLY for weight loss. She is not crazy for wanting to use to for a few weeks, nor is that a sign that she is abusing the drug. I think it is a fine idea to get inspired to loss the rest of the weight. It is amazing how much harder you try to lose weight (the healthy way) once the pounds start coming off. Some people just need a little boost because when you working your tail-end off and eating nothing but salads, and STILL not losing weight it is very depressing and frustrating. This might lead people to try more extreme measure than adderall. Just be careful and only use the adderall for a jump start! It is addictive if you use it too long, and remember that permanent weight loss is a change in your lifestyle. :-)

O.K. Our mom's of the 60's said they took diet pills a.k.a. speed , no wonder they were size 5 ,dinner on the table and house spic and span !!!

I am a stepford type of wife and I could not do it without my son's adderal. This sounds ludicris, however I am educated(masters) and socially astute.

Adderal rocks and I am going to go make dinner now!!!

Thanks

Thank You!! I was prescribed Ritilan many years ago for depression (Yes, It was prescribed for depression in the late 1960"s early 1970"s) I was given it along with an antidepressant, and it worked wonders for me. Right now I am going through some stuff. I dont have a shrink and cant afford one.My husband has a great one, and we have duel counseling once a month. My husbands doctor knows me pretty well, and he agrees that combination would most likely work today. I talked to my PCP about it, and told him I was prescribed this medication, and I got a big fat NO.. I have been going to my PCP for 12 years, so he knows I dont abuse drugs. Its because of all of the people abusing the drugs that really work, so the rest of us that use them as prescribed cant get them because doctors are scared to death of the DEA.... Thanks for saying what I was thinking..

Depressed in Ca

well you should not take half the pill.plus, ive lost alot of weight from that, but i gained some weight because i got of the pill cuz it was driving me crazy. just get on a real diet eat healthy light foods and exercise for a couple of mins or hours a day or every few days.

I know this post is old, but you sound a lot like me and I just wanted to put my 2 cents in and possible help someone else. I don't have ADD or ADHD which, of course, is what Adderall is prescribed for. My gynocologist (spelling?) prescribed me this just to help me lose weight and he also added that it has the benefit of helping you focus. He prescribed me 20mg twice daily.

I took the first dose after getting my prescription filled and leaving his office. I was so excited that maybe this pill would help curb my appetite. Within 45 minutes after taking 20mg, I started feeling more energized, restless, and ready to jog a mile. I had another appointment with my primary care doctor that day (after taking the adderall), and my pulse rate was 145!!! AND THAT WAS at rest...while I was sitting 2 hours in the doctors office!!! (normal heart rate for adults is 50-100 beats per minute) My primary care doctor was very worried and wanted to know why my heart rate was so high. I told her that my gynacologist had prescribed me Adderall and I had just took a dose an hour and a half ago. She was furious that the gynacologist prescribed me this without even knowing my history or anything. I have severe anxiety problems anyway, and this increased heart rate and nervousness from taking the Adderall didn't help at all!!! The gynacologist actually told me this pill wouldn't make me nervous at all...just help me focus and curb my appetite. She immediately told me to stop taking the Adderall and prescribed me some Xanex for my nervousness instead. The point I'm trying to get at is...unless you have ADHD, you shouldn't take this medication!!! It can be extremely harmful to your heart. Your heart pumps harder to get blood throughout your body if your overweight anyway, and if your taking Adderrall on top of that, your heart is working too hard. You could even go into cardiac arrest!!! SO, my point is, is you shouldn't take this medication UNLESS you actually have ADHD and it is prescribed by a qualified physician. If you look at the side effects of Adderall, dry mouth is definitely one, and increased heart rate can also be one, especially if your just beginning to take this drug. This drug can also be highly abused and become very addictive. So, my advice to you, or anyone else, just taking this drug for weight loss is a very bad idea!!! There are other prescription drugs, such as Phentermine that is prescribed for weight loss. I believe it does help with weight loss, even if my primary care doctor told me it doesn't help you lose a significant amount of weight. My cousin lost 60lbs while taking it though...but she has a diagnosis of ADHD. The problem is, is when you stop taking it you are probably just going to gain the weight right back anyway. Your best bet is...I know you don't want to hear this...but eating healthy and exercising on a regular basis. You can also talk with your doctor about other prescription weight loss pills, such as Phentermine. I didn't have any success with Phentermine though, but everyone is different. I'm just going to try to lose weight the old fashion way, through diet and exercise. Whatever you decide to do, good luck and be careful!!! :D

SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOO.............I AM 19 AND VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH MY BODY . I WAS VERY ATHLETIC IN HIGH SCHOOL N SKINNY NOW IM OUT . I RUN N EXCERSIZE LIKE ITS MY RELIGION . BUT I CANT SEEM TO LOSE EVEN ONE POUND!! N I HAVE HEARD THAT ADDERALL WILL HELP WITH LOSING WEIGHTS .. IS IT A GOOD IDEA?