Hi, my daughter has been diagnosed with chronic bronchitis after having episodes of sever cough that lasted on and off for couple of months. I am very worried, because the doctors said that there is a chance that bronchitis might lead into asthma. She was prescribed advair inhalation twice a day. I have heard that advair is related with deaths of patients that were diagnosed with asthma. Is this a right treatment for my daughter? She is only ten years old, shouldn't the doctor prescribe a safer medicine for her?

Hi, I am sorry that your daughter is suffering from such a serious condition. It is true that untreated chronic bronchitis can, in time, advance into asthma. However, if your daughter gets the right treatment this scenario will probably be avoided. Advair has caused severe asthma attacks that had caused death to a number of asthma patients. This is a very serious medicine that is combined out of salmetalol, which acts as a bronchodilator and fluticasone propionate that reduces inflammation. The second one is a steroid that might have an effect on your daughter’s development. The use of advair is also not recommended in children under twelve years of age, except when there is not any other possibility. I think that you should talk to your daughter's doctor about the concerns you have regarding her therapy. Maybe you two can come up with the better and healthier treatment for your daughter.