Hello! I often have problems with bronchitis. Each time I catch cold I end up with bronchitis. I am afraid this condition may become more serious and that I will end up with chronic bronchitis or asthma. My sister says I can’t have a chronic bronchitis since it is completely different illness from acute bronchitis. Is chronic bronchitis same thing as bronchitis?

Hello! Chronic bronchitis is not the same thing as acute bronchitis. Cigarette smoking is the main cause of chronic bronchitis and it is an ongoing, serious disease and almost 90% of acute bronchitis cases are caused by viruses. In some cases chronic bronchitis can lead to asthma. Acute bronchitis often follows a respiratory infection with feeling of sore chest and coughing. Most cases of acute bronchitis disappear after ten days and chronic bronchitis needs serious treatment.

Hi i am doing a report on what is the main causes of bronchitis so it is not the one reason is smoking i got confused