Hi, my six years old daughter has been diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. I am very concerned, because the doctors said that if her condition does not improve, it may develop into asthma. She is taking all of the prescribed medicine, but it does not help her very much. I have heard that there are some home remedies that help with bronchitis. Can you recommend some of these home remedies that may help my daughter?

Hi, chronic bronchitis can be a very serious condition. I am sorry that your daughter has to go through so much trouble at her age. Chronic bronchitis is mostly caused by airborne particles that irritate the lungs and cause the build up of mucus along the lung pathways. The main perpetrator of chronic bronchitis is cigarette smoke. If you or any member of your family smoke, you should stop immediately for your daughter's sake. This would be the best home remedy for bronchitis. However, there are some other things you can do to help your daughter. First of all, your daughter should drink plenty of water and orange juice. Two or three times a day give your daughter half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a glass of milk. This remedy should be taken on an empty stomach. Raw onion juice has been used for ages as a bronchitis remedy. Your daughter may feel the benefits of this home remedy if you give her one teaspoon of onion juice in the morning. Chili peppers and the rest of the spicy foods can be beneficial. Don't try these remedies all at once because you are eager to help your daughter. Try one at the time for couple of days to see if the chosen remedy works. Most importantly, don't stop giving your daughter prescribed medication.

I have chronic bronchitis and I can with absolute reliability bring on an acute attack by eating citrus (orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit) or drinking citrus juice; also, by consuming any form of dairy products. I cringe when I read about natural "remedies" that include citrus or dairy. The only way I've been able to control my chronic bronchitis is with juice fasting (avoiding citrus/dairy, of course). For info on fasting, I recommend Paavo Airola's books "How to Get Well" and "How to Stay Slim, Healthy & Young With Juice Fasting." Airola says chronic bronchitis can be treated with repeated fasts of 7-10 days; but I've not found that to be true; the bronchitis is controlled but is never gone. Dietary mistakes, a compromised immune system (eating too much acid-forming foods, cold weather, etc.) can bring on an acute phase.