Hello. I'm 26 year old female and I would like to find out some information about teeth whitening. I'm not so happy with the color of my teeth and I have decided to change something.
You see, all my life I had beautiful teeth, but early consumption of coffee and 10 years of smoking contributed a lot to my present teeth color. So, some teeth whitening is my next step but I don’t know where or with what to start.
I have heard that some teeth whiteners can destroy tooth enamel and really cause hazard to my teeth.
Anyone maybe knows more about this? What is the best option for me?

Hi. I have a long history of teeth whitening and I think I could help you with some information. You were right, some teeth whiteners, especially those based on lemon juice or vitamin C, could be hazard to your teeth because they could cause loose of calcium.
I have used several whitening gels and I'm very happy with their effect. They all contain carbamine or hydrogen peroxide as the active bleaching ingredient.
You put this gel on special bleaching tray or strip, put it on your teeth and keep it there for about 30 minutes.
You could also use some whitening strips that already have the gel on them. Do not forget the whitening tooth pastes which also can have good effect.

I have tried many different whiteners and have only gotten very minimal results. I had VERY yellow teeth and I was beginning to think nothing could help them. Finally, I bought some whitening gel from my dentist. It is much more powerful than anything you can buy over the counter. I'm happy to report, with 4 treatments 1 hr each time; I am finally getting the most real difference. The cost was $30.00 for 4 treatments worth of gel. Be sure you get instructed on how to use it. Also, I already had my own trays from the many other products I had tried.

VickyF wrote:

Hi Vicky! Can you please tell me where you got these gels and what the name of the gel is! My teeth are pretty yellow. I have been smoking for 8 years and I quit, and I would like to try to make them look more beautiful now. I haven’t tried anything before, can you recommend me something in case I can’t get that gel you used, please? Thank you

The name of the gel is Opalescence PF 20%. You can do a search on the web and learn more about it. I'm not sure if you can buy it on the internet. It comes loaded in a syringe thingy. However, I've searched the web again and found a site www.ultra-white.com that seems like a good deal to try. If you go to their products page, you'll see they offer to sell 5 syringes for 37.00 of the highest potency 22%. They also have a facts and myths info page about whitening.
I paid 30.00 for 2 syringes at the dentist (can get 4 treatments per syringe). http://www.drgeorges.com sounds like the best deal of all, its only 15% strength but you can buy it at Walgreens and Eckerds stores for 15-20 dollars. It comes with trays and the refill gel is very inexpensive too. You might want to start with his system and buy the others stronger gel later, then you will already have the trays.
Other than these, Crest whitening 7 day treatment strips are the best you can do, but that cost is 30.00 and you don't get as good of results.