Hi! I’m a 14 y old boy and I have DM since 9y. When I have hypos I get more aggressive, I´ve never hurt anybody, but I shout a lot and can say things that are not nice. I´m pretty much tired now that every time I get upset or angry my parents keep on saying to me: go and test your BG!!! It is really annoying @! I´m a teenager and I get angry sometimes or stressed, and then I get these 2 people telling me is hypo!!! And the other way also, sometimes I say things I don’t really mean because I have an hypo and they say I’m using my hypos as excuse. I dream of the that day I will be on my own and won’t have to explain nothing to anybody, and then when I think this I get sad because being alone is not really the best for someone with DM1! Help!!! What do I do with my parents and this aggressive hypo problem??? Having DM1 is never nice but now I’m getting older is even more difficult!

Hi there!  Do you have any other symptoms of hypoglycemia other than you become aggressive?  If you do not feel disoriented or fatigued, or any other symptoms when you become agitated, just leave the room or situation when you are angry or tense.  That way no one can bother you about this.  You will be fine if you just avoid people when you feel like lashing out.  If you are having symptoms of hypoglycemia though, you should check your blood sugar just to be on the safe side.  I hope this advice helps you deal with your parents and the way you react to the situation.

Hi there! If you talk to some diabetic peers you will see you are not the only one with this question! Do you know  that even people without diabetes if they experience mild hypoglycemia they also get more aggressive? Bad mood if you don’t eat is a general problem. If I were you I would do it this way: first of all you have to avoid as much as possible to have hypo, not because of getting aggressive but because any diabetic should avoid it because of the risks involved with hypo. Very soon you will be also driving a car and believe me, it will be much easier if you know to how avoid hypos. Frequent testing and frequently eating (of course doing carbo/insulin counting) will help here. Second thing is You should actually measure your BG when they ask you. If you are right, and your BG is normal,  you will get your parents more conscious that you really meant what you were saying during the discussion and take out also their stress that you maybe be getting an hypo, there is a bigger chance of an agreement. If you are wrong, and indeed your BG is low, first you will be able to correct it and second you it will be more easy for them to deal with some hard things you have said and didn’t mean. So in both cases (hypo or no-hypo) is a win-win situation if you measure. And at this age you have to be careful not to think that all these discussions happen because of your DM. Every teenager is in constant discussion with the parents!