Hello Yall, I have a question about driving and diabetes. I was wondering if there is an upper sugar limit? If my memory serves me well enough, I believe that the dvla says you shouldn't be driving if you become hypo around 4.0. It makes sense not drive when your sugar is that low and if I have that happen I don't drive. But it seems to me there should be an upper sugar limit but I don't know what that is. I don't generally have problems with hypers just mostly hypos. By the way, I'm a type 2. Can anyone out there help with this? Thanks.

Hi, You know your question is interesting. I know about the lower limit as well but I don't recall an upper limit. Seems like that would be important. I have a number of hypers and when I do I know I can't concentrate very well. In fact when I feel like this I don't drive. Hypos are truly serious and will cause black outs and seizures and you simply do not have enough energy to run your body and brain so I suppose that is fairly consistent between diabetes patients such that they could set a limit on it. Hypers are probably different in that each diabetic handles that differently. Someone could have sugars go up to 11 and handle that fine because they are used to it. So, maybe there is no real way to set an upper limit. So, it appears that just a lower limit has been established. I'm sure that most people know when they are impaired enough so they shouldn't drive. I know that when I have hypoglycemia, I don't see that well. My vision is terribly blurry and my reaction times are way off. I just know that if you vision is blurred I know that I can't drive. I don't know about you, but whatever the sugar measurement for fuzzy vision, that would be an upper limit. Just a suggestion.

A general rule is that if you are exhibiting symptoms that will compromise your ability to drive safely, you should not drive.  In hyperglycemia, if your BG is over 200 mg/dl, you will be showing symptoms of confusion so that would be an indication of avoiding operating a vehicle or any other equipment.  Next, hypoglycemia can also cause confusion, and it usually can start at 70 mg/dl or lower when symptoms manifest.  So you are the judge as to what you feel like before stepping into the car.  You should check your blood glucose before driving to ensure it is in normal limits.

Have you driven with hypoglycemia and almost cause an traffic accident?