It just so happens that I am having these nighttime episodes of hypoglycemia.  I generally work out in the evening so I come home after doing weights and the treadmill.  I then eat some popcorn and diet soda while watching tv before going to bed.  Sometime in the night, I wake up to go to the bathroom and I feel really hungry, disoriented, and sick.  I check my blood sugar after going to the bathroom and washing my hands.  It runs low around 50ish and I have to eat a bowl of cereal to bring my sugar back up.  I have had this happen many times in the last few weeks.  It's a good thing that I get up in the night because if I kept sleeping through a hypo, I may never wake up at all.  I was wonderiing if anyone else have had nocturnal hypos and if you did, what did you do about it?  I am on lantus insulin that I take before bedtime.

I see that you are having a time trying to get your blood sugar level during the night at an acceptable level and out of the lows.  There are a few things you can try to do to bring your blood glucose up and not worry about nighttime hypos. You may want to move your workout time to earlier in the day if you can.  If you also ate a better snack at night, such as an apple, this may help you avoid hypos during the night.   If you do both of these interventions, I am sure there will be an improvement in your nocturnal blood sugars.  You may also want to try to move your lantus injection to mid-morning and see if this makes any difference in blood glucose level at night as well.