What does AIDS treatment consists of? One of my neighbors is HIV positive. I noticed that he doesn’t do anything besides taking the medication. He is pushing everyone away, I talked with some of his friend that they used to come, and they told me that he doesn’t want to see them. I feel like I should help him somehow, I am afraid that he has been discriminated.

HIV positive people have differing needs according to the stage of their infection. In the first stage people are asymptomatic, that is when they have no signs/symptoms of their infection, the second stage is when people have symptoms of HIV infection and the third stage relates to support and care of people who are terminally ill and nearing the end of their life. Do you know in what stage your friend is? Treatment for AIDS consists of a number of different elements: voluntary counseling and testing, support for the prevention of onward transmission of HIV, follow-up counseling, protection from stigma and discrimination, spiritual support, food and nutrition, the provision of antiretroviral, treatment of STIs, management of nutritional effects, prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections, traditional treatment, preparing for death, family and orphan support. Please be more precise in what way you want to be involved in this.