I recently slept with a guy that i later found out wasn't exactly mentally stable. and now im really scared he has given me aids or something. something in the way he used to answer questions and his demeanor. but now i have been bruising so easily. i don't know why exactly but i think it could have something to do with the crash dieting i was doing for a few months hopefully. how common is bruising easily associated with aids and is more likely that i just have a vitamin deficiency or something?

Although I myself do not suffer from HIV or AIDS, i found this information on
thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Symptoms/Q9411.html and thought that it might be of use to you. I hope everything turns out ok!

Bruising Easily--Am I Positive?
Oct 22, 1996

I am HIV-negative, but I have safe sex (no penetration) with my HIV-positive partner. He has been positive for 12 years, and one noticable symptom he has is that he bruises easily, and bruises take a long time to heal. Suddenly, I am having the same symptom, where before I was very difficult to bruise and they healed in 2 days. I still have "love bites" after a week. I've had no other symptoms of seroconversion. Should I be concerned?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. In your post, you state that you have tested HIV negative. If you are testing HIV negative at the time that you're showing symptoms, it indicates that your symptoms are not HIV or AIDS related. An infected person first tests positive by 6 months after infection. Symptoms related to HIV/AIDS don't begin until an average of 10 years after infection. Therefore, a person first tests positive (by 6 months after infection), and then later on shows symptoms (an average of 10 years after infection). So if you're showing any symptoms now, and you continue to test HIV negative, that indicates that your symptoms are not HIV/AIDS related.

There are multiple reasons why a person could bruise easily, and then take a long time to heal. These are not necessarily HIV/AIDS related symptoms. There are other medical conditions which can lead to the same symptom. My suggestion to you is to see your physician and have a complete physical exam. Tell your physician the symptoms you've been having, so they can get an idea what illnesses to check you for. It's very important to remember that every symptom seen in persons with HIV/AIDS can be seen in other illnesses unrelated to HIV infection.

Your physician may choose to test you for HIV again, just to rule out HIV infection, especially since your partner is HIV positive. But they should also test you for other illnesses that can cause bruising, and related medical problems.

So at this time, you cannot assume your symptoms are HIV/AIDS related, even if your positive partner has the same or similar symptoms. But a complete physical exam, in addition to various laboratory tests, could help you determine what is causing your symptoms. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

I was reading this post and have a question to add to the response. I get little purple blotches (rougly 4-5) about the size of a pencil eraser on the upper part of both my thighs. On both legs they are at about the exact same location (just below where my boxers end). My question is, since the response to the previous post states that symptons of HIV/AIDS are usually 10 years after can I *potentially* rule this out as a possible cause if we consider the following:

1. The last time I had intercourse with a questionable person was about 12 months ago, definately no longer.

2. I *think* they only appear after a day of skiing, however they don't go away quickly, they take almost 2 weeks. If I recall correctly they appeared last year too right after my first few days of skiing.

3. I'm a young adult (mid-twenties) and have only had 3 sexual partners, considering two of those partners were very long relationships.

Could this be a result of skiing and nothing more?

Thoughts?
-SkiBum