Hi, my family member recently got ALS, I wanted to know how is it related to Lyme disease. Does Lyme disease cause ALS? What is the difference between symptoms of ALS and Lyme disease?

Lyme disease can not be cause of classical ALS. ALS is a nerve disorder and infections can not lead to both upper and lower motor neuron symptoms as well as paralysis that characterize ALS. Concerning symptoms of these two diseases, they are not alike. But, some isolated cases are reported of people with Lyme disease who had unusual symptoms of Lyme disease, and with some symptoms and signs of ALS. People with a diagnosis of classical ALS should not undergo Lyme disease testing, because these two conditions are not related. However, if a person has been exposed to Lyme disease organism, or has sensory symptoms, Lyme disease testing could be considered.