I was originally diagnosed with ALS but when I was sent for a second opinion, the doctor said it could be PLS, primary lateral sclerosis. I have been to four neurologists and the diagnosis has not been confirmed. Now, I am looking for people with primary lateral sclerosis to talk to or for some information about primary lateral sclerosis. Thanks.

Well, it is difficult at times to correctly diagnose primary lateral sclerosis because its early symptoms may look like those of other neurodegenerative disorders, especially ALS. I’ve read some research at Columbia University in New York. They studied the medical records of 39 individuals who were thought to have primary lateral sclerosis. Of these people, 13 were later classified has having ALS because they developed additional lower motor neuron symptoms more characteristic of ALS and 16 individuals were classified as having PLS because they continued to have only upper motor neuron symptoms.

My name is Gary and I have Primary Lateral Sclerosis. Your situation is common. It took my Neuromuscular specialist and an associate of his, 6 months to diagnose me. He wouldn't give me a definite diagnosis until he was absolutely sure that it was Primary Lateral Sclerosis! If you need answers to more questions or someone to talk to about PLS you can do that with me.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use