Hi. Last week I was in some sort of a camp, located by the lake, and something has bit me. Not sure what it was but I fear that it was a tick. My body is all clear and see no sign of a bite. Only to make sure that everything is fine, I want to take a test for a lyme disease. Does anybody know anything about testing for lyme?

Hi. I took the lyme test last spring. It is used to show if your blood has made antibodies to a bacterium that causes Lyme, called Borrelia burgdorferi. The infection is very difficult to diagnose because the symptoms of lyme vary from one person to another and the antibodies to the bacterium don`t appear until 3-6 weeks after the tick bite. A blood test can be used to show the level of antibodies, immunoglobulin M and G. Anyway, if you test is positive, you have been exposed to the bacterium and probably have lyme. If it`s negative, you could still have the disease (having an antibody level too low to detect).