Hi, my grandmother has difficulty to swallow and speak, I need more information on criteria for early diagnose of ALS, because her doctor said he needs to revise her analysis and perform some more.

There are modified diagnostic criteria for ALS proposed by the World Federation of Neurology (WFN). The aim is to facilitate early diagnosis and start treatment before obvious signs of the disease are noticed. Lower motor neuron (LMN) involvement in at least two limbs and upper motor neuron involvement in at least one region (bulbar, cervical, or lumbosacral) are required to make a diagnose. Electrodiagnostic studies, neuroimaging, and laboratory studies were also used to diagnose a disease, what led to sooner putting of diagnose. This technique enables to have proper diagnose about 2-3 months before all symptoms are noticed.