I know that amoxicillin is similar to ampicillin, in its bactericidal action. During my life I had chance to realize it fight against susceptible organisms during the stage of active multiplication. My pharmacist explained it acts through the inhibition of biosynthesis of cell wall mucopeptide. Moreover, I have heard that amoxicillin has been shown to be active against most strains of microorganisms, both in vitro and in clinical infections. All this made me interested if amoxicillin is really so good drug, so I would like to hear more about warnings or its side effects.

Amoxil, or amoxicillin, is indicated in the treatment of infections due to susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms. This is very good drug that could be used in infections of the ear, nose, and throat. Those infections are usually due to Streptococcus. Those are some positive sides of amoxicillin, but as with any other drug, there are warnings and side effects. For example, with usage of amoxicillin, serious and fatal hypersensitivity reactions known as anaphylactic have been reported. I have to say that these reactions are more likely to occur in individuals with a history of penicillin hypersensitivity. That is why it is important, before initiating therapy with amoxicillin, to carefully inquiry each previous hypersensitivity reactions to some allergens. Off course, if an allergic reaction occurs, amoxicillin should be discontinued and appropriate therapy should be instituted. If this situation occurs, it is necessarily to have immediate emergency treatment with epinephrine. As you could realize, amoxicillin is very good drug, but doctor should be careful as with any other.

Amoxicilin is an antibiotic and you should never make decisions on your own when to use it and when to stop using it. Bacteria that caused infection may become resistant on drug. Respect doctor’s recommendation especially when your child is diseased.
Visit pediatrician and take care.