I would like to know what medications are usually prescribed as a treatment for Paratyphoid fever. I read somewhere that effect of ciprofloxacin is decreased. Is this only when the bacteria Salmonella Paratyphi A is cause or even S. schottmuelleri (S. paratyphi C) and S. hirschfeldii (S. paratyphi B) are cause.

Well, I know that S. schottmuelleri and S. hirschfeldii are strains of Salmonella paratyphi. I am not sure if the treatment is different, I am not an expert. I only know that antibiotics are treatment for Paratyphoid fever. The fever is treated for over a two-to three-week period with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Septra), amoxicillin (Amoxil, Novamoxin), and ampicillin (Amcill) and third-generation cephalosporins (ceftriaxone, cefotaxime or cefixime )or chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin) may be given if the specific strain is resistant to other antibiotics. I am also not aware of how ciprofloxacin is effective.