What are the best antibiotics for strep throat? I just went from MD and he told me that I have strep throat and wrote me what I should use for it. Will I be better with antibiotics?

Yes, if you have strep throat and your doctor gave you an antibiotic. It is a medicine that kills bacteria and usually the antibiotic used for strep throat is a form of penicillin. You can take penicillin as a pill, a liquid, or a shot. My mom gave me acetaminophen to get rid of aches, pains, and fever, tea and warm chicken soup. It's best to avoid spicy and acidic foods, such as orange juice, because they will irritate your tender throat.

Pen VK, or anything in the Amoxil family can be a very effective drug. If you are allergic to Pen VK, Biaxin 500mg twice daily for 7 days is a decent treatment, but the best drug available under RX: is zithromax. use 2 tablets immediately and 4 for the remaining 4 days. it stays in your system for a long time and fights off the infection. besides that rest and a bronchial pump are helpful.

Dr.V.

Clarithromycin is specifically indicated for strept. and acute bronchitis.

500mg 2x a day for 9 days. It is very effective, you can feel it within the first day of taking it.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

Amoxicillian is still good. Look under the CSC recommendations for the type of infection that you have or check out a sanford guide.

Regarding "guest" of 12/31: are you intentionally rude, or just communicatively-challenged? One doesn't need to be unprofessional to disagree.

O.K. lady! I'm a student in sierra middle school, and I'm doing a project, I need to know the medicine for strep throat! :cry: :x :?

clarithromycin is the best anti biotic for strep throat and upper repiratory infection. amoxicillian doesnt work... i v used it

I agree with you.The first 2 doctors gave me nothing.They said it was a virus.My throat was very red with a ulcer on the toncil.3 days later white spots formed.The hospital gave me penniclyn.This did nothing.3 days later the ENT gave me steriods and clarithmycin.5 doctors and 10 days later its starting to get a little better.Dont listen to your doctor if they say its a virus,call him in 2 days if it gets worse.

this is true... a doctor gave me biaxin for strep... it was very exspensive and because it didnt treat my strep at all it spread to my lungs and i was in the hospital for five days

If they use what some call is a quick snap test for Strep and say it is negative... MAKE them do a culture that they send off and see if it appears with in 48 hrs.   My daughter had strep and the quick test in urgent care came back neg. and she had a "Virus".  Almost a week after running a 104 temp I went to her pedictrician and found it was a really bad case of Strep.   She did a culture of the infection and it came back she had to have a stronger antibiotic... Then life got back to normal.   

I STRONGLY disagree.
1. Zithromax is 2-fold to 4-fold less active against Strep & Staph then Amoxicillin & Pennicilin. (The White Paper Dac 1991).
2. Biaxin is stronger than Amox or Pen.
3. Therefore, NEVER go to a weaker antibiotic for the 2nd round (if 1st round failed)...

I am glad we have so many experts here! 

Question who is a doctor of Pharmacist?

Great, bottom line is Amoxicillin 875mg will do the job to fix strep throat !!!

Obviously the "expert" who wrote this post is gramarically challenged in some way (sorry there is no anti-biotic known to me with the ability to cure that problem) ......... I refer of course to his/her line "Question who is a doctor of Pharmacist? ..........clearly an incorrect, invalid and non-sensical line! Up until this point, everybody else was actually trying to assist one another with a very valid questions and answers texting session. Your attitude and sarcism is not very nice!!