When I asked a doctor, he told me that Gatifloxacin is indicated for the treatment of infections. He said most of infections that require treatment with Gatifloxacin are due to susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms. However, other doctor prescribed this drug to my cousin who has problem with acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis due to Streptococcus pneumoniae. Now I am confused which doctor made mistake, or is this the same condition. Can you tell me more about Gatifloxacin because I want to hear?

Gatifloxacin is recommended in both cases, because it works with wide groups of bacteria. This drug is well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract after oral administration and can be given without regard to food. This means it should not be taken prior or after meal, as some other medicines requires. The absolute bioavailability of Gatifloxacin is 96%. This medicine is excreted as unchanged drug primarily by the kidney. Less than 1% of the dose is recovered in the urine as two metabolites, but crystals of Gatifloxacin have not been observed in the urine of normal, healthy human. The mean elimination half-life of Gatifloxacin ranges from seven to 14 hours. It is independent of dose and route of administration, because each molecule of this drug works the same. Gatifloxacin may also undergo minimal biliary or intestinal elimination, since 5% of dose was recovered in the feces as unchanged drug. This drug should be discontinued at the first appearance of a skin rash or any other sign of hypersensitivity and this is something your cousin should know. Serious acute hypersensitivity reactions may require treatment with epinephrine, which requires doctors supervising.