Hi, my son has tonsil infection, last time when had it the doctor prescribed him Ammoxil, and he got better soon. Now, I bought Ammoxil on my own, because we already know the problem, but his condition is not improving. Why the infection isn’t reacting this time? Could it mean that bacteria became resistant?

Amoxicillin is active ingredient of the medication Amoxil, which you are using. It belongs to the group of penicillin antibiotics. It can be used to treat infections caused by bacteria which are susceptible to amoxicillin. If no reaction is produced, it could mean that the bacteria became resistant. You can try combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid (Augmentin is commercial name). Addition of clavulanic acid to amoxicillin enables amoxicillin to react on bacteria that are ordinarily resistant to amoxicillin. Clavulanic acid inhibits the enzyme produced by bacteria to change penicillin structure and stop it’s action.