Can someone explain to me what ana blood test is? I have to say that I felt pretty stupid the other day when I heard my friends talking about it. I have no idea what this is being done for?

You have nothing to feel stupid about. I will try to explain you what you are interested in. We have antibodies in our blood that keep us safe from invaders that want to get into our body, such as virus and bacteria microbes. ANA or Antinuclear antibodies are unusual antibodies, detectable in the blood. They have the capability of binding to certain structures within the nucleus of the cells. They are found in patients whose immune system may be predisposed to cause inflammation against their own body tissues. Antibodies that are directed against one's own tissues are referred to as auto-antibodies and autoimmunity is the propensity for the immune system to work against its own body. ANA indicate the possible presence of autoimmunity. This provides an indication for doctors to consider the possibility of autoimmune illness. The ANA test is performed using a blood sample and the antibodies in the serum of the blood are exposed in the laboratory to cells. I hope that this was not too confusing.