Hello! My doctor told me that I have the following problem. What I want to know something basic about it. I have pemphigus vulgaris disorder. I this case I would like to know about hypersensitivity. Does anyone could tell me what is important if the patient needs addition help? Thanks for your advice.

Hi! IgG and IgM antibodies binding to specific cells or tissues mediate the type II hypersensitivity reactions. The damage caused is thus restricted to the specific cells or tissues bearing the antigens. In general, those antibodies which are directed against the cell surface antigens are usually pathogenetic while those against internal antigens are not so. Type II hypersensitivity is also known as cytotoxic hypersensitivity and may affect a variety of organs and tissues. The antigens are normally endogenous, although exogenous chemicals which can attach to cell membranes can also lead to type II hypersensitivity. Drug-induced hemolytic anemia, granulocytopenia and thrombocytopenia are such examples. The reaction time is minutes to hours. Type II hypersensitivity is primarily mediated by antibodies of the IgM or IgG classes and complement. Phagocytes and K cells may also play a role. The lesion contains antibody, complement and neutrophils. Diagnostic tests include detection of circulating antibody against the tissues involved and the presence of antibody and complement in the lesion by immunofluorescence. The staining pattern is normally smooth and linear, such as that seen in Goodpasture's nephritis (renal and lung basement membrane) and pemphigus (skin intercellular protein, desmosome) Treatment involves anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive agents. Pemphigus vulgaris is a serious blistering disease of the skin and mucus membranes. Patients have autoantibodies against desmoglobin-3 a component of desmosomes, which form junctions between epidermal cells. The antibodies disrupt cellular adhesion leading to breakdown of the epidermis. I hope this will help you.