In newspapers I have read that rheumatoid arthritis is a common rheumatic disease. Also I have heard this disease is three times more common in women as in men. Also they said it afflicts people of all races equally. The disease can begin at any age. All this made me interested into this popular disease, so I need to know more about it.

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of joints. Rheumatoid arthritis can also cause inflammation of the tissue around the joints. It’s not separated to these locations, but as well it could affect and other organs in the body. Autoimmune diseases are illnesses which occur when the body tissues are mistakenly attacked by their selves’ immune system. The immune system is a complex organization of cells and antibodies designed normally to destroy invaders of the body, or the infections. Patients with these diseases have antibodies in their blood which target their own body tissues. This might be associated with inflammation. Because it can affect multiple other organs of the body, rheumatoid arthritis is referred to as a systemic illness. It is sometimes called rheumatoid disease. Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic illness, which means it can last for years. That’s why patients may experience long periods without any symptoms. Typically, however, rheumatoid arthritis is a progressive illness that has the potential to cause joint destruction and functional disability because of that.