I know that blood testing requires taking sample of blood. I realized that must be done using a needle and extracting blood. Lately I have heard one friend of mine had ANA blood test, so I wonder that kind of test that is. I did not know there are many different kinds of blood testing. Can you tell me is ANA blood test specific or special some way?

Antinuclear Antibodies test is also known as ANA test, refers to special kind blood testing. Firstly, I have to let you know that antibodies are an important part of our immune system. They fight infections, viruses and other invaders. Antinuclear antibodies (ANA) are found in the blood of those patients whose immune systems are more likely to fight their bodies' own tissues. These kinds of diseases are called with one name as autoimmune diseases. For an ANA test, the lab technician will take a blood sample, same with any other blood testing. The patterns of the ANA’s in the blood do not necessarily prove the patient has a particular autoimmune disease. Specific patterns may be more common in one disease over another. That is why doctors usually required more tests, because that is the only way to confirm this. If ANA’s are found in the blood, this does not mean the patient definitely has an autoimmune disease like myositis, which is common. More tests are needed to rule out myositis or any other diseases.