How is IgM deficiency related to immune system? I am doing some research for school and I can understand this part with IgM deficiency. Can someone explain me , please!

I know only from what I read hereon line. Serum immunoglobulin (Ig)M provides the initial response to foreign antigen. It also plays a regulatory role in subsequent immune response development, accelerating the production of high-affinity IgG. They were describing this on some experiment on mice, so it has been shown that mice deficient in serum IgM have an increased propensity to spontaneous autoimmunity as judged by the development with age of serum IgG anti-DNA antibodies and the renal deposition of IgG and complement. So, deficiency in serum IgM leads to diminished responsiveness to foreign antigens but increased responsiveness to self, but a paradoxical association reminiscent of that described in humans deficient in complement or IgA.