Hello

I’am writing on behalf of my 58 years old father because he is in a desperate situation. Five years ago he had here in Romania a double cervical herniated disc surgery – between C5-C6 and C6-C7. Doctors used as a substitution of the intervertebral discs, his own pelvic-abdominal bone (I think the name of the bone is iliac crest). The doctors attached to the new formed “block” (=C5-new bone disc-C6-new bone disc-C7) a metal plate made from titanium for suport . This titanium plate was “bounded” to the block with six screws. After these years my father has again back problems and needs an MRI (magnetic resonance) but the big problem is that the doctors who made the surgery are not sure if all the screws they put inside my father’s neck are from titanium 100% or some of them have the core made from steel. They made a CT scan but didn’t help them to clarify the problem. This way he can not get the MRI he needs. Doctors said that if his condition will get worse they have to make another surgery to get the titanium plate and screws out and only after that to make the MRI to see where exactly the new problem occurred in the spine. The titanium plate and screws after 5 years joint toghether with the tissue so good that the surgery to remove them is really dangerous. My father’s body didn’t rejekt the plate and screws, he recovered well enough after the surgery, that’s why 2 years ago when he went again for a check up the doctors told him that removing the plate is to dangerous and if it doesn’t disturb him in any way, he should let the plate where it was. He didn’t have the surgery then….and now it's more complicated. My appeal for you all is to tell me if you know any other way for us to find out from what kind of material the screws inside the neck are made from. If we can find out that there is only titanium 100% he can get the MRI and even make a new surgery (if necessary) without removing the plate and screws. Thank you all for reading my long post and I apologise for my writing mistakes.

Magda

The hospital or surgery center where your father had his surgery should have all the materials documented (along with serial numbers) for every screw and plate. He should call the place, ask for medical records and tell them he needs the type of implants used in his surgery.

I went through this several years ago due to an implant recall and was able to get the type and serial number of every item used in my neck surgery.

I don't know why the doctor is not doing this for him.

Hope this helps.

Thank's for your answer. My fear is that they didn't register the screws. We live in Romania and everything is possible. Anyway, I'll tell my father to talk again with the doctor and hospital. I hope this will be solved soon.
Best regards!

I live in the United States. Here, I think, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) mandates that all implants are recorded for future medical reference.
I sincerely hope that is the case in Romania so your father can get the help he needs.
Best of luck!