My mother experiences some numbness, coldness, tingling in her leg and foot but mostly just severe pain that doesn't respond to any treatment. She has spinal stenosis and nerve compression at in lumbar area. Does she need surgery now?

Spinal stenosis is a condition that compresses nerves and can produce symptoms of pain, numbness and tingling into the legs with activity, but in some cases, spinal stenosis can result in severe pain and even weakness. About 75% of cases of spinal stenosis occur in the lumbar spine and most will affect the sciatic nerve. To on of my friend with spinal stenosis who didn’t respond to conventional treatment fusion surgery at one level with decompression has been recommended by a surgeon.

I was diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis in my late 30's. I'm now 54, and after over 4 years of extreme leg pain and a failed L4-L5 laminectomy (removal of the facet joints) 2 years ago, I had spinal fusion surgery of L4 - S1 2 weeks ago. The nerves coming out from L4/L5 now have the space they need to function without being compressed, which was what was causing the pain in my legs. The pain isn't gone yet; the nerves now have to regenerate, which is actually more painful than before. But this pain is temporary. I am optomistic that within 6-8 weeks the pain will subside. My surgeon advised me that a 60-70% reduction in pain is the goal - That sounds awesome to me!

I would recommend that your Mother see an orthopedic surgeon. I first saw a neurosurgeon who did the laminectomy 2 years ago. When my MRIs showed that the laminectomy had failed, the neurosurgeon refused to admit that, referring me to a pain management specialist. I did that, and he advised me that my stenosis was so severe (also indicated on the MRIs) that he was not able to insert a needle. Hence, I saw an orthopedic surgeon who performed the fusion.

Good luck to your Mom!

i hadit done and if she has it don eshe will be worse off.im still suffering for the last 14 years.the nerve damage cant be healed either so thats painful. laser spinal surgery find something like that and see them she might be better off.im 74 years all and never the same after surgery .