I had hemorrhoidectomy done 5 weeks ago. Have I known the pain was gonna be that intense I would have never done it and I dont' recommend that surgery to anyone unless it's the only thing that stands between you and death. After 5 weeks of pain, constipation and discomfort I am still unable to have a normal bowel movement without pain. Can't go back to work yet because I can't sit down for no more than 20 mins. My stools are as big as my pinky. My doctor told me I am having anal stenosis and I would need a dilation. He gave me a dilator to use 2x a day for 2 weeks to stretch out my anal canal and if no progress, I would need to have surgery again to cut the muscles. I have been using the dilator for 4 days now and I am not able to get through 5 centimers of it. I am still in pain from the first surgery and I am afraid the second surgery would make things even worse. If anyone had to have a second surgery done, Can you inform me of the outcomes and wether the pain is as bad as the first one?

Why don't you ask him about Lord's Procedure ?

My husband also had this surgery, hemorrhoidectomy, it was done 4 years ago, and he was in terrible, awful pain also for about 5 weeks, but he felt better after that for a few months, then he started feeling his hemmroids come back, and he struggled with them for many years and a fissure on top of it all, but slowly he felt a little better as far as the hemmroids, but he still had the fissure. and then in August of this year, all of a sudden he started feeling pressure in his rectum, pain, throbbing, aching, tightness, swelling, and felt like his whole rectum was pushing out. Then one day he got this terrible pain like someone kicked him real hard right in the rectum, and it didn't let up for about 4 hours, so after that he went to see a doctor, and they told him that he had anal stenosis and says he needs to have this surgery where they cut the muscle like you said, I don't know of anyone who has had it done, but I was wondering if you found anyone yet, as far as the pain and the recovery, and the effectiveness, please let me know. Thank you.

i have done Stapler hemorrhoidectomy , , and then felt this terrible pressure, ,and then last week have done dilatation... as i was diagnosed by anal Stenosis

i can see similar cases here ... did you guys got cured at the end ? or you just lived with this pain ?

i was diagnosed with stenosis after 1 months doing stapler hemorrhoidectomy. I'm still trying to manage it now with fiber drinks and stool softener. After 2 months now, there's very little progress. My doctor now suggest dilatations under general anaesthetics. I'd probably will try this out and hopefully can fix this problem. Will see the next week if i decided to proceed with this dilatations next week.

i had a second surgery five weeks after still in pain and i feel like i am tighting up again i don t think this is ever going to end and my dr office lies they told my insurrance i refused to be checked on my second week he tried to check me and i screamed in servere pain and on my third week called them back because i felt like i was going to split open and screaming everytime i went to the bathroom so on week five i had an app told him he had to knock me out to check me and he said thats why your in so much pain you want let me check you but made an appt next day to open me up in the operating rm trust me he could not do that in the office had to cut me open something is wrong with surgeions that don t want to listen to their paitience i am ready to get a second opionion my butt still hurts not as bad but i think its never healing

manual dilatations didnt help at all! i suffered 1 months doing this dilatations in the docs office. So after that i decided for the 2nd corrective surgery. My doctor found out that not only it is narrow but the stapling was done abit lop sided hence my stool cant pass thru smoothly so he had to literally use a plier to cut release the ring and immediately loosen!! . BTW, my weight then was already down to 45kg from 50kg in 1 months. After the surgery in april, the very next day i was able to pass without any obstruction at all! it was heaven i haven felt like that... its been the 5th mths now and i can feel its tightening abit. Had to strain abit not like before. And had to keep away from meaty stuff. Really had to watch my diet which is alot of fruits and vege before meal and and last week started taking fiber drinks again.... sigh... altho the 2nd surgery was tremendous improvement but was short-lived now i'm at cross roads.. hoping time will heal with my new diets hope things will be back to normal or at least like just after the 2nd surgery would be great!

anyway, the right person/ doctor to meet is collorectal surgeon. I think they wld have seen more cases like this compared to normal practitioner who probably just read about it but never come across real cases. This doctor did for me had earlier 1 year ago had the same case so he know wat to do. Good luck you guys....

I had the stapled hemorrhoidectomy done in october and didn't enjoy that at all. The discomfort was pretty bad. I had to up the pain killers, then got constipation. the second week was worse than the first. But suppositories sorted that and I was back at work om week 3.

Noticed the tightening inside and the surgeon diagnosed a stricture at the 6 week point.

He advised dilation under general but I was manually dilating as soon as I was aware of the stricutre.

That has really helped. The doctor gave me a dilator but it's too small now.

Its now December and things are a bit better. No pain, just the tightness of the stricture.

But the piles are coming back a bit. No where near as bad as before but makes me feel like I shouldn't have bothered.

(though it was the right decision at the time because they were bleeding and this can hide other conditions).

I had the same op about 5 weeks ago too (now replying to this post a year after it was originally posted); I was instructed to take co-codamol after the op despite my protestations that it made me constipated. Low and behold, I suffered afterwards and had to be re-admitted with faecal impaction.

In the time since then, I've been suffering with spasms in the sphincter and as a result my anal canal has gradually reduced. With 3 open wounds from the op and the spasms, I'm in a lot of pain but returned to my work 2 weeks post op' (office work). I feel vulnerable and humiliated but by the same token I can use a computer and pick up a phone so the right thing to do was return to work.

I've been back to see the surgeon (last week). He seems convinced that my pain should subside soon but since then my spasms have increased and the anal canal has narrowed further. He's given me another 7 weeks of this by which time he says that if I haven't improved then he'll do a sphincterectomy to release the sphincter muscle. From what I've read this procedure offers almost immediate improvement.

The alternatives are living the rest of your life with this debilitating pain or plastic surgery. The latter has a long recovery period and (I'm told) is much worse in terms of pain than the hemorroidectomy.

I've went from being an ultra runner, someone who trains every day (sometimes twice or thrice) to being unable to even play with my kids now. AND this is my third operation. I had another hemorroidectomy 16 yrs ago and a banding 5 yrs ago. I never experienced anything like the complication I now have back then. If I were a religious man I'd be praying right now for some relief.

I am sorry we all are in so much troubles.

How do you feel now?

Are your wounds better now?

yes i had the hemorrid banding surgery and my doctor could not band the ones that were really bad so he referred me to a surgeon and the surgeon said i had anal stenosis along with the hemorrids so i has surgery to stetch my recum and remove the hemorrids and this has been thee most painful surgery it has been one week and iam miserable it suppose to take up to 4 weeks to heal then i go and see the surgeon for a month check up and i pray the surgery has been a sucess cause i will not do it again but it was urgent for me to have the surgery because of so much blood that i was losing iam a severe anemic, i say i wouldnt have again but if my life was in danger i know i will . i wish you the best.

Oh pain... The great equalizer!

Hello everyone. This is P69. I will try to be brief.

I was diagnosed with Anal Cancer (SCCA) in 2011. Fortunately I found it early. It was stage T1N0. The key to my early diagnosis was that when I noticed an insignificant and barely palpable flat raised area under the skin (the size of a small uncooked lentil) about 4cm (1.5in) from the anal opening, I insisted on seeing a proctologist.  In order to get a referral to procto, I had to tell my primary doctor that I had painful hemorrhoids, which was not true, yet necessary.

I went through the prescribed treatment that included both chemo and radiation therapy which burned off the skin in and around my anus and groin. Fortunately, that seems to have resolved the cancer so I thank my lucky stars and I would do it again in a heart beat. Alleluia!

The bad news is that the side-effects from treatment were harsh. First, my follicles died and hair fell off (not a big deal), but then the skin pretty much flaked and completely fell off. Obviously there is a lot of pain associated with that but I got past it. After a few weeks, the skin slowly grew back although it was tight and obviously scarred. The external skin has gotten better overtime but my anus keeps getting tighter and tighter. There is no elasticity to it and it is painful to have a bm.

I have 5 doctors and relatively good medical care. However, none of them warned me about this or told me how to prevent it. Had I started dilating early on, I could have prevented some of the scarring to set. Now the scars are thick and completely set. I can relate to the comment above about my bm's looking like wire. Mine does too.

I am a pragmatist so I have been attempting to dilate digitally. First, I could only get my pinky in. That's it. However, since I have started dilating, it has gotten better. I have some hope that perseverance will make this better. Although it hurts, I can insert the tip of my index finger now. I have also noticed an improvement in the thickness in my bm's. There is still lots of pain but it is somewhat duller. I do this while taking a warm shower and that helps relax my muscles a bit. I can only try every three to five days because it takes that long to stop bleeding after each dilation. In between these treatments, I apply Beta Glucan cream or sometimes petrolatum is the most soothing. I also developed small internal hemorrhoids and curcumin pills work wonders for these.

*I am looking for medical grade dilators that are thin and gradual enough for me to use. I want to start off at 2cm (3/4in) and gradually increase. Most everything I see online are for sexual pleasure with bulbous tips or textures that I could never use.  What I need is really something I can use to get better, something cylindrical without the bulbous tip, more like a bullet-shaped tip for easier insertion.

If you have some specific suggestions on dilators and/or creams that can add flexibility to the skin around the anus, please let me know. I feel like I am at a crucial point where it will either get better or get worse. I will let you know of my progress.

I am grateful that I am here writing this words to you but I would like to have more comfort in this area.  It's a pain in the ass! ;)

Thank you for your assistance.

-P69

Sorry I didn't see your post until now. I had stenosis and first tried manual dilation using pediatric dilators. The ones I have are from Specialty Surgical Products. My doctor had to call them & place the order & then I called to pay them. They were shipped to my house. I got 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 14 mm. I ended up getting dilation under anesthesia and am much better but not back to normal yet. I had myhemorrhoid surgery almost 1 year ago.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. Here is an update.

I am a man but I will swallow my pride and tell you that I ended up getting the Dr Berman vaginal dilator and it is helping a lot. It is not the best quality but it works. There are three things that I think makes them viable and that in my opinion you should look for in any product you get:

1) The handle. You need something you can grab easily (especially if you have neuropathy like I do),
2) The smooth surface makes it slippery (unlike rubber, which is creates traction), and
3) I didn't realize it but the vibration helps A LOT with the insertion. I think it prevents the lubricant from getting squeezed out so it is much more comfortable.

I have made it to the second size. One important thing to note is that it needs to be done very consistently a couple of times a week. I stopped for two weeks and I had to go back to the first tube for a while. My BM's have gotten more comfortable, although I still have a long way to go.

I appreciate all the information I found here and I hope that my experience helps someone else.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions. Also, I welcome any questions you may have for me.

P69