Hi all. I hope someone here can help me. I am a 41 year old lady with an insidious onset of left upper back pain. I also feel hand and arm numbness. Few weeks ago I noticed a feeling of numbness and tingling in my left hand and arm and I think is the c7 nerve root. The problem occur in the index and middle finger. I am also having tingling and numbness right below the left clavicle and the lateral border of the left scapula. I am also having constant numb feeling in my index and medial aspect of 3rd finger. MD thoughht cervical radiculopathy, so I went for cervical MRI which shows: general spondylosis. c6-c7 broad based central/left paracentral disc protrusion partially fills in the lateral recesses. Mild to severe neural foramina stenosis as well. I even saw neurosurgeon who thinks the MRI do not correlate with clinical picture, so I had an EMG which showed no carpal tunnel but some kind of nerve pathology. I am on Neurontin and percocet. Any suggestions?? Should I get second opinion???

Your symptoms could indeed be consistent with a C5 and C6 pinched nerve root. The C6 sensory area includes the lateral aspect of the arm down to the index and 3rd fingers. I don't know if you have any weakness to correspond to this localization but moving your neck forward can reduce the spinal fluid space and make things tighter in the spinal cord/root area. Regarding MRI - do you have a disc there causing some compression ? Neuralgic amyatrophy is possible and I think it but would be unusual to be purely sensory. On the other hand, the EMG may not be diagnostic as spinal muscle fibrillations are not always present with pinched nerve roots. Anyway, in these conditions a second opinion is never a bad idea so I too think you should get it.

I would like to know the outcome for weckerly. I am a 48 year old female with remarkably similar symptoms. The numbness and tingling in my left hand and arm seems to me to be consistent with compression of spinal nerve c6, but my MRI shows a c6-c7 "broad based disc and osteophyte complex which extends into the left neural foramen resulting in moderately severe foraminal stenosis." Since spinal nerve c7 exits here, I'm confused. The most painful symptom, however, is a sharp intermittent pain near the medial edge of my left scapula. Is this consistent with a c7 nerve compression?

I am a 44 yr old femail and have very similar symptoms after the MRI with a diagnosis from a second Ortho-surgeon indicating " c6-c7 moderately severe foraminal stenosis". I have severe pain and numbness in middle and index finger (started about 40 days ago); ended up in ER b/c pain and went through 2 packs of Medrol within 30 days but a weeks after the 2nd pack of Medrol I started feeling much better. I can manage the pain with Tylenol and 1200 of NSAIDs and am also doing PT. I have lost significant strenght in my right tricep and am really worried if I get the strength back. I would love to hear if other people with my condition have gotten their strength back and how long it took.

Anyone who has persistent numbness and tingling should see both a neurologist and a neruosurgeon. Had I not seen both, I would have lost the use of my right hand and arm. As it was , I have permanent nerve and muscle damage from the delay in seeking medical intervention. If you've been told you have Neural Foraminal Stenosis, this means you have compression of a nerve root coming out of the vertebre and you need to seek medical attention. Depending on the degree of compression, surgery may be necessary. Take it from me, I've had both Lumbar spinal surgery and cerivcal spinal surgery, and received relief from both.

I am experiencing pain and numbness in my right hand and shoulder along with constant pain that increases with my job as a sales person. I am driving an average of 50 miles per day and sevicing 10 to 15 accts sampling wines and spirits which means I carry a wine bag, lap top, and have to lift 45 lbs on a regular basis. I had right shoulder rotator cuff surgery in Jan 2011 I was out of work till May 31, during that time I have had this pain weakness and numbness in my right arm, I went back to work june 1, 2011 and aggravted my condition and was orgered out of work again. I went for a MRI of my shoulder amd an MRI of my neck which indicated which indicated stenosis in C4/5, and C5/6 stenosis.  Can rotator cuff surgery and a nerve block cause a neural foraminal stenosis?

Get a second ,third or as many opinions as it takes to get better don't just settle for a Gp, chiro, Pysio or natrpath go to the best see a neoro surgeon who has a proven track record. I am lucky enough to have an appointment with a Neuro surgeon who has already seperated 2 siaamease twins successfully and is an expert on the spine as well. It's your life go for the best.

Hi yes there is a safe way

I had the same tingle/numbness in my left arm, constant pain in the bicep and shoulders. I just had ACDF surgery a week ago. The pain was instantly gone. I had a ruptured C5.

Find yourself a good pain management MD, I have and he works wonders for me. I am 68 and been hurting since the 1980's. I was ready to slice my throat because of the pain.

Did you get your strength back of your right tricep and how do you fell now did the numbness home back in you index finger, I do have the same symptoms please advice