I have just had my C5C6 fusion operation and thought I would post some positive feedback to those who may be thinking of having this treatment. After reading about neck braces, pureed food, and long recovery times I must admit I wasn't looking forward to the next few weeks but in my case this hasn't been a problem. After having the operation on Saturday and having an interrupted sleep that night as the nursing staff check your vitals very 2 hours and ultrasound your bowel after you go the toilet for the first 3 times. The pain though out the evening was not that bad and I didn't require any painkillers excluding a couple of panadol although the man next to me used his pain killing button on 3 occasions though out the night but all in all it was just a little tender and uncomfortable with the tubes handing out. On Sunday morning we both had a normal breakfast and had the drips and drains removed and settled in for a day of watching the tv. We were both able to walk around with minimum discomfort and I was released from hospital that afternoon but my roommate remained as he was still requiring painkillers. I am now recovering at home on a normal diet, without a neck brace and my neck although a little tender is not providing me with any huge difficulties that can't be managed by taking it easy and a bit of common sense. I understand everyone is different but thought it might ease the nerves of some people to know that it may be possible your operation goes as well as mine and you could be stressing over something that may not occur Best of luck

Dear Gilly,

It was so nice to read your comment.  Thank you!!!   How are you today?  Was it worth it?  What was your symptoms prior to surgery?  

Many thanks,
Sabrina

Morning Sabrina,

prior to the surgery I was having 'pins and needles' down my left arm and fingers, sharp pains up and down my spine, constant cracking and general discomfort in my neck and on certain days limited movement. Since the surgery this has all but dissappeared and although I am avoiding jarring exercises still like boxing progress has been steady and consistant. My surgeon recommended I wear a soft neck collar when I sleep for a few months just to aid in my recovery and although this was uncomfy at first did seem to be of real benifit as the mornings were previously the worst times and ensured I didnt sleep in a bad neck position. The operation for me was a great decision and one I wish I had made earlier

Oh my gosh, thank you so much. I am having a c5-c6 fusion in a month and I am scared! I am going through this because someone decided to rearend me. It was intentional. I am in a lot of pain now, and don't want to be in pain the rest of my life. Your post was uplifting. Thank you