Hello! I would like to hear are anemia and hair loss related. I am 46 year old female and I have started to lose my hair just like if I were a man-I am desperate for this now. I was on some very hard diet for I wanted to lose some weight and my latest blood test showed I am in lack of all major nutrients-practically each level of major ingredients of my blood are very low so I was diagnosed with anemia and somehow in the same time I have started to lose my hair so I wonder if anemia and hair loss are related.

My mom was having some pre menopausal troubles and she was found out to be in lack of iron deficiency-and at about the same time she faced hair loss and I remember her doc telling her this has nothing to do with anemia but that there are some researches that shows relation between iron deficiency and hair loss therefore I don't think that anemia itself could be hair loss related but it would be wise if you try to increase your iron level by some oral supplements which my mom was doing and practically after a while have also solved her hair loss problem. The important thing is actually to find out what is the right cause of the anemia that is of the iron deficiency-in my mom's case it was the loss of blood through periods though she was in pre menopause.

Wow. I just wanted to drop a note here because this is the first I've heard of such a thing and, if there is some connection between iron-deficiency and hair loss, this may be the answer I was looking for.

Question though - how quickly were the hair issues resolved for your mom after she got the iron supps started?

I am 27 years old and have thinning hair. My doctor tested me for lupus but the test was negative so he said I was just one of the unlucky women who would have thinning hair. Which may be true. But he mentioned nothing about iron and I have struggled with my iron for years. Typically, it is low. As I hate taking pills of any kind, I opted not to take iron supps (yes, bad I know but I hate being dependent on something artificial). But, if the iron potentially might help my hair...?