Hi, I have been treating anemia for three month now, and have not seen much progress. I have severe headaches. Could anemia cause severe headaches?

Anemia is decreased number of red blood cells or hemoglobin. This condition results in lower amount of oxygen reaching tissues, so the brain as well is hypooxigenated. Any lowering of oxygen level in the brain can cause a swelling of the arteries of the area, causing headaches. You may also feel tired, exhausted, have pale skin, a fast heartbeat, shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, cognitive problems, numbness or coldness in your extremities. You have to be persistent in treating because it’s not easy to augment number of red blood cells, since absorption of iron remains the biggest challenge.

I have a similar problem, I started treating anemia for about 1-1/2 months now and haven't seen much progress at all.
My symptoms were: pale skin, random unexplainable vomiting, tiredness, fatigue, low on iron, hungry all the time, skinniness.
The doctor ordered me on some one a day iron pills called Ferrous Sulfate
and told me to eat red meat. Ive been doing so, and even started working out some. But all I have noticed is thicker veins and a bit more energy. But thats all.
I'm 14 and attend the 8th grade at a middle school and I always seem to be tired and out of energy. I'm also skinny and not very strong. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this and become stronger and have more energy? Mostly what Ive been doing is eating more frequently, taking the pills, and resting a bit more.

Thanks,
---Jason

I would try a liquid iron supplement too, I had a hard time absorbing the pills, they had me on slo fe, ask your doctor if they can recommend a liquid supplement, it's usually more easily absorbed by the body. 8) Hope you start to feel better...and remember if you iron stores are low it may take up to 6 months before you are feeling 100% again. You have to replenish your body's stores. Also, have you been checked for B12 deficiency?

yeah im 16 years old and i think i have anemia. im a vegetarian so i dont eat red meat and i refuse to . i take iron tablets but they're not recommended by a doctor. my symptoms are - fatigue all the time, dizziness at random moments, fast heartbeat, bad head aches, low in energy, really skinny, loss in appetite. i want to fix the problem really badly because its affecting my school work as i cant concentrate. but i dont want to tell my mum. what should i do?

Dessicated liver pills are a much better way of increasing your iron intake. When I was anemic the first time, the naturopathic doctor told me I might as well put the pills up my nose, for all the good they'd do me. They simply don't have enough iron in them to do any good. And I've found that it's a chronic problem....I just think that I've got it under control, and it's back again....

Have you ever tried carao fruit syrup? I am also anemic and came across this website (anemiaanswer.com) that says carao fruit is used for anemia and is grown in Costa Rica. It supposedly builds the blood and raises hemoglobin levels. I am going to try it myself, I should be getting it in a week or so. I figured I would give it a shot since it's not that expensive and since the iron pills don't seem to be working well for me. You can do a search for carao fruit syrup and you should find it. Good luck and take care!! :D

Make sure you are getting the most out of your iron supplements:
1) Don't take them unless it was recommended by a doctor because having excess iron in the body is toxic. The body can not get rid of excess iron.
2) Be aware that iron is absorbed in the proximal part of the small intestine (the part closest to your stomach). The coating put on some iron supplements may not be digested away until after the tablet has passes through the part of the small intestine where iron could be absorbed, making them pretty much useless. So, if your doctor tells you to take iron supplements, you should buy ones that are NOT coated unless instructed otherwise.
3) Different iron supplements have different amounts of elemental iron in them, so check the box. Your body only absorbs s small percentage of the elemental iron you ingest, which means you are probably going to need iron supplementation for a long time. Ask your doctor which type of supplement you should buy (ferrous fumarate, ferrous gluconate, ferrous sulfate) and how many times per day you should take it.
4) To maximize the amount of iron your body absorbs, try to take the supplements away from food, and with something acidic like orange juice.
5) Be patient! It takes a long time to rebuild the body's iron stores.
6) For the non vegetarian crowd, heme iron (found in red meat) is absorbed much more readily than elemental iron from supplements.
7) Make sure to keep those follow-up appointments with your doctor!

I have chronic anemia which I think is related to menorrhagia, which runs in my family, so it's a repeating, difficult problem. Anemia can DEFINITELY cause headaches. I missed two days of slo fe pills and had a major, sickening headache. Felt better within 2 hours of taking the pill. Iron is absorbed better by the body in the presence of vitamin C, so I always take my pill with some sort of juice that has 100% RDA of vitamin C or with Emergen-C. I have also had heart palpitations in the past. I had stopped eating red meat, but had to start back. It was that or probably die of my heart stopping one day. I was having like migraine-level headaches, nausea, and my heart would flop in my chest if I just walked a couple of blocks. I was at the point of critical anemia according to blood tests. After starting back on the red meat, I went up to regular anemia. Ferrous sulfate tablets did not seem to work for me. The slo fe seems to work better, but I have not heard great things about iron pills generally, so I tend to try to eat high iron foods, like spinach, steak, and mussels. Mussels are quite high in iron, I think 50% RDA per serving, and it's easy to eat 2 servings. I buy the frozen ones in the light sauce. You just cook them for about 8 minutes and they're ready and good, if you like seafood, which I do.

I am an RN studying to become a nurse practitioner. You need to take iron supplements with orange juice. It aids in the absorption of the supplement. Otherwise, you will not see much benefit.

My doctor said to take sublingual liquid B-vitamins with the Iron. The B vitamins enable the Iron to be absorbed. She said the pill form just gets digested and very little gets in your bloodstream.

Also, I've started to take daily walks (albeit slow) and it seems to help the headaches. Maybe it improves circulation a little.

All the best!

Try Repliva. It is an amazing iron supplement that raised my hemoglobin 2 points in 2 weeks...and it didn't bother my sensitive stomach at all.. You take ir for only 3 weeks at a time. Hope this helps.

I've been treating Anemia for 10 years and nothing has changed.
i can not eat half of the things that will help me as i am also lactose, i have very abnormal peroids and painful.
i requested so many things to help me and so far nothing has been done.
i asked for a hystorectomy as my abdominal area is in pain often.
i wish there was a cure to this besides taking pills everyday, some doctors just don't do blood work and follow ups. how are we suppose to get better if they won't follow up.
how do we know if we are getting enough iron or to much. i have taken iron pills for 10 years and my health is up and down i am just sick of missing work and due to this i am told i am unreilable.....

I've been treating anemia for about 3 years now and it has helped with some symtpoms.  Taking an iron pill once a day will only increase your blood levels by one point every month.  That's why I started on 3 pills a day (every 8 hours) for 3 months and then switched to a pill a day.  I got severe menstrual migraines before taking the iron.  Now they are greatly improved!  Before the iron pills, the migraines would last 10-14 days.  After 6 months of iron supplements, my migraines last only 2-4 days and the severity has lessened.  Also, I don't require as much medication.

Also, I was recently diagnosed with protein deficiency.  I'm allergic to the flavor enhancer MSG (monosodiumglutamate) so I have an off diet and I'm not getting the necessary 45-50 grams of daily protein.  Protein deificeincy can cause a multitude of problems/symptoms such as anemia.  I started taking a daily protein shake each morning for the past week.  It has greatly helped my fatigue and lethargy!  I'll have to take it for months to restore my protein reserves but I've seen a noticeable improvement within days.  My "anemia" symptoms are declining!

JasonLp Wondering if you might have Crohn's Disease. Worth asking your doctor about.