Lately I found out that anemia can be life threatening. I have heard if person having severe symptoms, he or she should go to a hospital's emergency department for help. I always knew what is anemia, but I never think it could be dangerous. That is why I would like to hear more about causes of anemia. Can you tell me more about this problem, and when person should see a doctor?

Anemia occurs when the body produces too few red blood cells, which is the most common reason. Furthermore, it happens when body loses too many of red blood cells also. Beside these, anemia occurs if red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be replaced. There are close to 100 different types of anemia with many causes, so I could tell you just some of them. There are included some serious diseases, vitamin or iron deficiencies, blood loss, and genetic or acquired defects or disease. Sometimes, cause of anemia could occur with side effects of medication. There are many medical conditions causes anemia, such as external bleeding, loss of blood through heavy menstrual bleeding, wounds, as well as stomach ulcers can cause anemia. Common and maybe the most famous reason and cause for anemia is iron deficiency. To understand thins you need to know that the bone marrow needs iron to make red blood cells. Some uncommon causes of anemia include bleeding disorders, liver disease, infection, cancer, arthritis, enzyme deficiency, sickle cell disease, hypothyroidism, etc.