I can say that strange thing cannot avoid me. I will tell you about my problem. After two months of symptoms like dizziness, tiredness, pale skin and chronic fatigue on the end, I have decided to visit doctor. After the analysis I am diagnosed with anemia but my iron levels are normal. How it is possible?

Not every anemia is caused by low iron in the blood. For instance, megaloblastic anemia is caused by low levels of vitamin B12 and folate. It is caused by small intake from food or malabsorption problems. Also there is sickle cell anemia. It can be inherited. The red blood cells in persons with this disease are hard and have a curved edge. It causes problem because these cells cannot squeeze into smaller blood vessels and block the organs from getting blood.

Hello ceciley,

as bryann already explained, anemia caused by the iron deficiency is not the only type of anemia. B12 vitamin deficiency anemia is very common as well and sickle cell anemia is not as common, but it also has little to do with blood iron levels. Vitamin B12 deficiency happens together with many fairly common conditions, but it also can be caused by some medications, such as the ones used for lowering stomach acid levels.

Treatment for anemia depends on what is causing it. When there is a vitamin B deficiency, you usually get vitamin B injections to help you recover faster, instead of taking just vitamin B supplement. In case of sickle cell anemia, treatment is more complicated. It might sometimes even be necessary to have a bone marrow transplant.

Well, this is quite unusual. Are you sure that you were diagnosed with anemia? Public doctors can be wrong from time to time. I would like you to explain your symptoms further to us, especially to tell me does iron deficiency cause you to be cold. If I were to take your place, I would have considered a change of doctor because we just might be talking about a mistreatment or misjudging. I am not aware of having an anemia without iron deficiency but would appreciate other thoughts and facts for sure. If you went to other doctor, be sure to let us know.

all my nutrient levels were good on blood test. I have mild anemia but still very tired and sleepy. I have always had lots of energy but not now.
All this has happened over the last year and half. The only low on the test was testosterone. Can that cause anemia? I have colon test scheduled 12/11/17. Thanks.

I just got blood work done cuz I have had the same problem (fatigue, weakness and such) and my iron levels and vitamin b12 levels all came back normal but my testosterone was very low as well. Did u end up figuring out why?

Same thing happened to my niece this week. She went for blood work this week. They say she is still has anemia, she ask about her iron levels and they told her, her iron was fine. She is cold and eating ice non stop. I have been there. As soon as I started on the iron, I stopped craving ice and turned off my electric blanket.

Have your doctor check for a vitamin E deficiency. This can cause hemolytic anemia.