Hi, I am an old man. In the past several years I have had serious health problems. At first it was my high blood pressure but later it was something more. My heart was just not working well. I was facing a surgery and finally my condition led to it. I had a bypass. One of the doctors named my condition a weak heart syndrome. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about the trouble you had to go through because of your health state. When your doctor said that you suffer from a weak heart syndrome he actually meant that you have a congestive heart failure. This is a state of heart when it cannot pump sufficient quantities of blood to the organs in our organism. There are several reasons that can cause this illness. One of them, and the most important one for you, is high blood pressure (hypertension). Weak heart syndrome is a serious condition and can even, if some other conditions are involved, cause death. The treatment of this illness focuses on treating the symptoms. The things that can help are physical activity and diet designed to lower sodium intake, because these salts are, among other things, responsible for high blood pressure. As for the medication, doctors usually prescribe beta blockers, which protect the heart. I hope I clarified some things to you. If you need to know something more about your condition, the best thing would be to talk to the doctor that treats you for weak heart syndrome.