My son is autistic, and can be very aggressive at times. My doctor put him on Atarax or Hydroxyzine for anxiety. My question for you is, have you ever heard of an autistic teenager being on this medication, and if so does it really help?

Sincerely,
A Concerned Parent

The medication that the doctor prescribed your son is the antihistamine used to relieve the symptoms of anxiety and tension. What you should know is that it is not intended for using it for more than 4 months!! You should contact your doctor occasionally and he will re-evaluate the prescription and adjust the dosage based on your response to the drug. I know that children over 6 should daily take 50-100 mg devided into a few smaller doses. If overdosed, it can cause excessive calm and the drop of the blood pressure. You should be very careful with the dosage and your son should take it exactly as prescribed, if he misses a dose he must not take two doses at once!