what is hydroxyz hcl 10 mg used for

hydroxyz hcl (Hydroxyzine) is used for the short-term treatment of nervousness and tension that may occur with certain mental/mood disorders (e.g., anxiety, dementia). It is also used to treat itching from allergies and other causes (e.g., reactions to certain drugs). It may also be used to help you feel calmer before/after surgery, or to help certain narcotic pain relievers (e.g., meperidine) work better.

Hydroxyzine belongs to a class of medications called antihistamines. It works by blocking a certain natural substance (histamine) that your body makes during an allergic reaction. Its other effects (e.g., calming, pain relief) may work by affecting other natural substances (e.g., acetylcholine, serotonin) or by acting directly on certain parts of the brain.

Hello there,

Since the poster above me has already answered your question there is no need to repeat his words. I would just like to add that my sister was using hydroxyz hcl 10mg for her anxiety disorder and it helped her a lot. She just got scared one day and the diagnosis was anxiety. She has been dealing with this quite some time and medications are really helping along with the psychotherapy. If you are asking because someone in your family needs to start using hydroxyz hcl 10mg I would suggest giving it a try.

Furthermore, if your doctor has prescribed it than there is no need to question his decision. I hope this was helpful.    

Is hydroxyzine hcl a narcotic?

No, but you can become addicted to it. I've been on the 25MG version of this drug (Vistaril) for 40 years. If I try to stop taking it, my sleep is profoundly affected. By the 4th day, I will be waking up at 3AM and not be able to go asleep. I am cutting down to 10MG/day, but I don't ever foresee a day when I can be off it for good.

What I did not like was "there is no need to question your doctor's decision".

Can hydroxyzine be used before the use of Suboxone?

Just a correction: hydroxyz hcl is a non-addictive antihistamine pill. I'm using it now for anxiety and was prescribed this after been on Xanax, due to Xanax being additive.

Addictive** stupid auto-correct