What kind of doctor gives medication used for lover high blood pressure to autistic child? My child will not take this drug! I am waiting ours next appointment to put him on his place! Oh, I am so angry. What does he thinks, that we do not have TV, radio, internet, that we are living on some abandoned planet! If your child gets Clonidine for autism, just for the record, it is drug for hypertension.

You are very angry, but you have no reason to be. Clonidine is an old medication used for lowering blood pressure, but it REALLY DOES HELP TO AUTISTIC CHILDREN! I tried it on my daughter and was amazed with results. She new girl ever since she is taking Clonidine. She is in constant progress. I am very thankful for this medication.

Many times "Off the label" uses for medications are very helpful. Clonidine is very helpful for my Autistic Son. He is much calmer, and sleeps through the night.

You're correct that off lable use is comon practice. The first poster is very angry and should have done some homework BEFORE going to the doctor. Under-educated parents are poor advocates for their children....being angry and putting the doctor "in his place" won't help the child. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Then, DISCUSS DISCUSS DISCUSS. Lastly, try and see what helps your child. The one thing the doctor did wrong was not spend enough time discussing the how and why of the meds for the child - but this angry attitude is not going to get anywhere - sounds like the mom in question might have wanted a quick fix. The real question should be....what studies have been done to show that this drug is safe for my child? or, is there a history of anectodal evidence to support this prescription? If, after asking those questions or doing the research after getting home, one finds the answers cannot support the prescription, then begin to question the doctor's choice...but do it civilly because the autism community; while large nationwide, is often small in our own towns and we often have to see these physicians again - over time, they can become a trusted ally.

Ok for one clonadine is not just used for hypertention anymore. My stepson has Sensory integration disorder (mild autism). His behaviral issues and everything in his life does a 360 degree change for the positive when he is this medication. It`s a wonder drug. However he is starting to have to take more of it and eventually he wont be able to take it because you can only take so much. He will have to figure something else out eventually.

The comment about a child that wont take a medication doesnt make sense. make him/her take it and if the child wont use proper displinary action till he/she does. One of the major problems with children with autism is parents use it as an exscuse to let the child do whetever he or she wants. They need intense displine, structure, a set schedule and close supervision at all times. and they need to be on the GFCF diet for at least 6 months to see if it will help them. I could go on but I wont get educated on it and keep them away from dairy sugar and other poisons

Clonodine has been used for YEARS off the label for many disorders including Autism. My son has been taking it for 4 years and has done beautifully on it. The change in him was dramatic! Yes you will have a few days of a lethargic kid but they adjust quickly. It doesn't "Stone" your child it just brings them down a few notches to a more normal level...it especially seems to help with anger, aggression and anxiety. I agree she should have researched a little more before she went ranting.

I too agree with how much Clonidine has helped my autistic son. Neurologists are now taking it a step further w/ research and development - thank god for this!. My son has been on numerous amounts of medicine's (both prescription and hollistic) and none of them have worked until Clonidine. Thank god for this! My son is finally sleeping through the night, eating is no longer a constant worry and his behavior is more tamed. While it may not work for everyone, please don't dispair or disregard to those that it may. Medication is so needed for so many of these children. Without it, many of them cannot engage. And if you child cannot engage, it only makes it difficult to teach them and more difficult for them to learn. This just making it harder for them to pull through. Also, the dosage is so small and my son having a underlying heart condition, I was extremely worried about it. My son has a cardiologist in on of the best hospitals in the states and she too agrees that this is the bigger picture and the while the dosage is so small, it finally has made a difference in my son's life. We now all sleep better and have a much more productive day. Again, it may not be for everyone, but these are perhaps the current medicines that finally are making a difference. Just think how many people, both children and adults need to be on medication for one reason or another. Thank god for it. Think back to the days where there wasn't a option. I hope that many of you are hesistant

I used this for my twin sons with autism or a while even though it was a last resort due to their inability to sleep. It really made their digestive issues much worse. It slows eerything down. It's a narcotic and a barbituate and using this medication on a young child just isn't a good idea if you are thinking of the long run. I stopped about a year ago and tried more natural means of getting them to sleep better and am happy to report that they are leeping all the way through the night and the constipation is improved. There is another way.

"It's a narcotic and a barbituate"
It is neither of these drug classes. I'm a pharmacist and would educate you in this area but typically folks that spout off crazy information and make blanket statements are poor students. I like the poster who said that being uneducated makes for terrible advocacy for the child.

Today I gave my 5yr old autistic son his first dose. I was skeptikal and scared to start him on this widely questioned drug for autism. However,I have done my research, talked with other parents, therapists,and read numerous articles. Bottom line, I am a single mom,his advocate first and foremost. I did just as much research on his doctor before going to him. I trust his doctor and trust my decision to start him on this medication. I appreciate all the comments people have posted. It's my hope that Chlonidine will benefit my son,wish us luck.

My 3 year old autistic son has been on clonidine for about 3 months & it seemed to work at first but not so much now. I'm wondering if the dose is just not strong enough. He is back to only sleeping about 3 hours a night & you never know when those hours will be. I am positive that this medicine will help him sleep just think he may need more of it.

Does Clonidine work for adults with autism and what dosage?

I started my 6yr old son on clonidine 0.1mg about a week ago and the drug does calm him down and make him go to sleep within the hour,but hes been waking up everyday on the medication after only 4 hrs of sleep and stays up thru the whole night, with so much energy ,also his sensory outburst have increase tremendously along with his vocals they are all over the place right now screaming  how long do i leavehim  on the medication to see if it actually helps??
help please and thank you

MBECERRA.....I would think I wrote your message!  I have a 6 yo boy and we have had the exact same response.  He goes to sleep fast but only sleeps for about 4 hours and is up for the rest of the night (energetic and outbursts).  Don't know if you (or anyone) experienced this but I also suspect he is having bad dreams right before waking.  We have tried so many different supplements and medications to help him sleep over the past 4 years and find that nothing lasts for long or if we find something that works great for sleep, the side effects really outweigh the benefit of using it for sleep.  I am at witts end and so tired.  Work during the day and need to be up by 5:30.  Sometimes I can get him back down for another hour or 2 around 5-5:30 but by that time sleep is over for me.  I am searching for something else right now and am going to try alternating the gaba and melatonin for now.  Sometimes one will work for a couple of days and then I can switch to something else and go back to the other again.  Both stopped working but it has been awhile so I am hoping that they may work again even if it is just for a couple of nights, right now that would give me a boost.  I am stopping the clonidine and moving on but really happy for those that it works great for.  I know how hard it is to find something and know that there is no one thing that works great for all....wish there were.  Maybe in the future I would try this again but for now, my search continues........

Clonidine makes my son drowsy and he falls asleep within 40 minutes and gets restorative sleep up to 10 hours and wakes up happy. My son is autistic, age 10. He uses the computer alot so I need a way to un-stimulate the brain. It's been a life saver.