Hello. I've been on hydrocodone for 8 years now. I took something relatively mild before that. All were under doctors care. I'm a head injury victim who suffers severe degenerative muscle and joint disease, possibly fibromyalsia also. My injury was in 1974, many years ago when I was 11 years old. I'm now in my mid 40's and have suffered a lot of pain issues over my adult years. No one in my family has every had any drug addiction problems. I do not like medications. I'm on Prevacid 30mg for GERD, 1x a day. Inderal LA 80mg once a day for high blood pressure. I see see a variety of dr.'s often. I see a pain specialist every other month for 7 years now. He is he one that perscribes my hydrocodone 5/500. I take 4 a day. I started at 3x a day. Then up to 4x a day, but refuse to take anymore than that, because taking medication bothers me. The 4x a day of hydrocodone does not really take care of all my pain, sometimes not at all, but it does help me raise my autistic son, get housework done, and enjoy a more fulfilled life with my family in a limited sense. My husband is very suportive and I don't do or go anywhere really without him. I've called and talked to pharmasist several times over the years I've been on this in addition to keeping all my appts. with my dr.s. And each time the pharmascist have said same thing that the amount I'm taking is ok, and not harmful. My husband is the one that fills my medication container, seperating each does for the day, morning, afternoon etc. He fills it, puts it by my bedside and I take it at the appropriate times. Sometimes, like yesterday, I forget to take a pain pill. Then I have more pain and yesterday I was in tears it hurt so bad. I only took 3 pills yesterday for that reason and first one I made myself wait to take at the time I normally take my second pill, so as not to mess up the rest of the pill times for that day if that makes any sense. I do forget to take one every now and again, but is not common. Might come to 3-5 days a year that I only got 3 in a day. When I started seeing my pain specialist 7 years ago, he told me he prefers his patients not to be on more than 2 thousand mg of acetametiphen per day. So I could not "boost" so to speak the hydro with tylenol. So over the years, I've learned to deal with the pain that the medication doesn't relieve. I have however experienced enough times over the years how I feel when I forget to take a pill, or am out and forgot to bring my pills with me, etc. I feel worlds worse without than when I'm on it. I pretty much am unable to function. When I take the 4 hydro's per day. 7am, 12pm, 5pm and 10pm is when I take them. I have my case my husband makes for me each day. I take my other meds between 10am-10:30am with a banana and half a grapefruit. I drink lots of water everyday, I drink large glass of oj with fiber through each morning. When I do this or follow this each day, I function better. The meds don't make me nasiated that I notice. I'm not constipated any more than someone normal, very rarely. I never have to take any medicines for it. I don't feel any symptoms or sight effects that are noticable, I'm able to walk with my son each day, I home school him. I keep a house, but my activities are limited because of pain and exhaustion. I sleep 6-7 hours a day. But with the things I've read on the internet by chance recently I've become concerned that maybe I should go off of the hydro, probably best to taper off gradually, but not sure how I should do that. I feel maybe I should just suffer more pain and not be on the meds??? I had my anual health checkup in March/2008, one month ago, and my liver function is good. I would appreciate some comments on this message if there are any helpful ones for me thank you :-).

I lost my reason for living thru this drug. It took the life of my husband who was taking it for pain thru out 2 hip replacements. I will never forget hearing him hit the floor while winding our old clock on the wall and just a faint semblance of 'goodbye' in his eyes before they set in death. flush this and all drugs that can cause you to rely on them down the commode before it is too late for that son of yours.

I'm so very sorry that you lost your husband. It is very understandable to have a hate or distrust for something drug or anything else that was the cause. There are however circumstances that are different in each person and how they react to different medication. I guess questions come up like how much was he on per day, and how long was he on it? Reason for the latter, being, that if he was only on it for a short time, could have been an acute alergic reaction to the drug. I know that some doses can cause overdoes, and some doses as with so many different medicines are very dangerous. Without any details behind things it leaves a lot of questions. Again, I'm so very very sorry to hear of your loss.

I am very sorry to hear about the woman's husband.

But that being said, some people that are required to take such drugs are in so much pain. that without them, they feel like they're going to die. If you are taking hydrocodone 4x a day, you should ask your doctor or pain specialist about switching to hydromorphone. I have taken many different pain meds since my accident in feb, 2007, when i was shot in the face with a high powered rifle. After waking from my coma, i tried a few different pain meds that didnt seem to work in smaller doses, and preferably, it is best to take as little of any medication as you can, while still comfortably controlling the pain.. Any doctor would tell you this, im sure.

I now take Hydromorphone, which is simialiar to hydrocodone, its in the same drug category, but seemed more effective to me. I also take Prevacid 30 mg daily, just like you. Apparently drugs like this are known to cause ulcers and heartburn, so some type of PPI (proton pump inhibitor) is usually prescribed along with the pain killer. Just out of curiosity, how much does your Prevacid cost you? Here in Canada it runs me $150 for a 2-month supply. My medical thru work covers 80%, but i still have to shell out the cash, only to be reimbursed later.

Of the hydromorphone, i take 12mg of HYdromorph Contin (the controlled release form of hydromorphone) 2x daily, 12 hours apart. If, or should i say When i suffer from breakthrough pain during the day, i take the fast-acting form of hydromorphone, commonly called DILAUDID ,as required, in 2mg tablets. Hydromorphone is available in generic form as well. DILAUDID is a barnd name for hydromorphone, like Tylenol is a brand name for Acetominophen.

I find the hydromorphone highly effective, as long as i dont miss a dose, of course. After surgery, of which i have many, my dosage almost doubles, but in the weeks following i slowly taper the amount down to my normal level. I have tried to wean (ween?) myself off it completely, as i really dont like taking drugs like this, but unfortunately that is just not an option right now. I end up in tears from the pain, no matter how hard i try to fight it. My doc says i am insane for trying that! He says i will need this hydromorphonr for quite some time yet, but that it is good that i take as little as possible, while effectively controlling the pain. I was concerned that over time, my regular dose would become insufficient, that i would have to increase my dose, but its been over a year now, and that hasnt happened thankfully. Now, i am not a doctor, for the record, but i can safely say that you could be taking more hydrocodone than you are. The 5/500's are mixed with acetominophen, right?? I dont think they are controlled release either, am i right?? They are probably not, if you take 4 a day. I'd say if you are taking your pain meds 4x a day and the pain still bothers you, it is time to increase the dosage, or switch to something more effective.

In my opinion, you should ask your doctor for a controlled release form of the hydrocodone drug, or ask to switch the Hydromorph Contin, the controlled release form of hydromorphone. Granted, the controlled release capsules are more expensive than the fast acting tabs, but not much. And the ease of only having to take 2 doses a day as opposed to 4, is worth the extra dollar or two a day in my opinion. It seems like your doctor is hoping that the acetominophen will mask most of your pain, which obviously isnt working for you. I am also prescribed Tylenol 3, which i occasionally try to take in place of my fast acting tabs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I'd rather take 2mg of the hydromorphone than take 2 or 3 Tylenol 3's, which seem to give me heartburn, even with the Prevacid.

As a guy that has taken many different pain meds, i strongly recommend Hydromorphone, especially the Hydromorph Contin, the cotrolled release form of Hydromorphone. It is very effective, even in small doses. Mg for Mg, you could probably take the same dosage of hydromorphone as you do of the you hydrocodone, but you could take it twice a day, as opposed to the 4x a day you do now, which is definitly inconvenient. Hope i helped you out. Try asking your doc and see what he says about the hydromorph Contin, i think you would be pleased with the results. Or ask him or her if there is a controlled release form of hydrocodone available. Feel free to ask me any questions about anything i wrote. Good luck!!!